Looking for a GM code scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
lots of people would have assumed the module was bad.
Imagine what a less-than-honest stealership would have done with that data. Show the customer the code saying he needs a new module for $1000 plus labor. THAT is why I keep up-to-date scanners around. The list of codes for the '12 jeep is like in the hundreds. Wait until OBD-3 gets here. :blam:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It's gonna sound like i'm picking on you, but that's not my intent.

It seems that many people have fallen into the trap of assuming that whatever the scanner says is the culprit. I see people all the time throwing parts at something without doing the diagnostic work.

The code in many cases identifies the problem group, not the part. A GOOD tech will know to follow the flowchart/diagnostic tree, and use the datastream to see what's REALLY going on. Then an informed decision can be made.

I think this is where the cheap code readers can hurt consumers that don't know the proper way to fix it, and just assume the part indicated is the problem.
Oh, you mean like when your fuel filter clogs on your Frankenstein engine swap, and it leads you everywhere but the fuel filter (or pressure)? I don't know what you mean! (smell that?...... sarcasm)
OBD-III will probably be OTA updates, the dealers’ worst nightmare. Basically, they’ll be cut out of the loop for everything that doesn’t require a mechanical fix.
And, automated speeding tickets, vehicle disabling for unpaid parking tickets, and whatever else Big Brother can dream up.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
automated speeding tickets
Beware EZ PASS. One day it will be mandatory and you will be charged by the mile for all your driving. Then if you get from point A to point B too fast- TICKET! Don't think so? Keep dreaming. No one ever thought you would plug your car into the State DMV and your car's computer would rat you out.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Being able to see the value the sensor is giving out is a big plus too, I know the tech2 and clones (for Gm stuff only unfortunately) do that, or HPtuners for powertrain stuff do that well. I think most of my tough fixes have came from looking at the specific sensor values to see if they are reading right.

Do the other scanners like autell, ect give actual sensor values or just read codes?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
actual sensor values
Yes and even under actual running conditions. It also has a graphing display. You can watch your O2 sensors, throttle position sensor, idle solenoid, etc, everything in real time. Everything the PCM sees, you can see.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Holy moly, Im just looking for a scanner to see whats going on with the four wheel drive on my 02 Trail Blazer. I spent close to $300 on a scanner that doesn't read Transmission or four wheel drive codes. HELP.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Which one didn't work Doug?

• Agree

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
I bought the Innova for $100 and it didn't work for drivetrain codes or four wheel drive. So I returned it and they sold me another one for $270 they said did everything. It didn't do any more for me then the first one. It does work with more vehicles the first one. The one I have now is the Innova 3140 price $270.

Doug

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor