Looking for opinions/input

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I've had some renderings done for my Malibu (thanks Ben!), to help me try to visualize how I would like the car to look when I finished. The car is 2 tone now, with the lower part black, and the upper part kind of a coppery colour (this is the way it looked when I bought it-2 toned by the original owner). Its not a bad look, but the interior is the claret colour, which is more of a red, than the current upper exterior colour, and the 2 colours are separated by a gold double pinstripe, which really doesn't go with anything on the outside of the car. I want the upper exterior colour to more closely match the interior of the car. The colour that I'd like to use on the upper part of the car, is the newer Mazda colour-its called soul red metallic. Its more of a ruby red colour, and it really pops in the sunlight. The lower area of the car will remain black, but I'd like to find a black that has a bit of metallic in it.
There are variations between the 2 renderings. The upper rendering utilizes a cowl induction hood, and the 17" Year one Z28/Chevelle SS style rims. The lower rendering uses the existing stock flat hood, but with Lumina Z34 style hood vents in it, and the 16" S10 ZQ8 wheels that are on the car now. In both views, you'll see that I want to go with the later Monte SS aero style outside mirrors, a custom front air dam under the bumper, and a modified Monte SS laydown rear decklid spoiler.
The majority of the people that have seen the artwork so far, tend to prefer the upper view, as opposed to the lower. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of the cowl hood, but its becoming pretty commonplace now, and I'd like something a bit different, and a bit more unique, and I think this would fit the bill.
Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 80 Malibu Both Web Res.jpg
    80 Malibu Both Web Res.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 362
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Have you considered blacking out some of the chrome?

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I've had some renderings done for my Malibu (thanks Ben!), to help me try to visualize how I would like the car to look when I finished. The car is 2 tone now, with the lower part black, and the upper part kind of a coppery color (this is the way it looked when I bought it-2 toned by the original owner). Its not a bad look, but the interior is the claret colour, which is more of a red, than the current upper exterior color, and the 2 colors are separated by a gold double pinstripe, which really doesn't go with anything on the outside of the car. I want the upper exterior colour to more closely match the interior of the car. The color that I'd like to use on the upper part of the car, is the newer Mazda colour-its called soul red metallic. Its more of a ruby red colour, and it really pops in the sunlight. The lower area of the car will remain black, but I'd like to find a black that has a bit of metallic in it.
There are variations between the 2 renderings. The upper rendering utilizes a cowl induction hood, and the 17" Year one Z28/Chevelle SS style rims. The lower rendering uses the existing stock flat hood, but with Lumina Z34 style hood vents in it, and the 16" S10 ZQ8 wheels that are on the car now. In both views, you'll see that I want to go with the later Monte SS aero style outside mirrors, a custom front air dam under the bumper, and a modified Monte SS laydown rear decklid spoiler.
The majority of the people that have seen the artwork so far, tend to prefer the upper view, as opposed to the lower. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of the cowl hood, but its becoming pretty commonplace now, and I'd like something a bit different, and a bit more unique, and I think this would fit the bill.
Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Let me start by saying that I am very conservative by nature and that colors (no pun) my taste in all things. I have a 79 Malibu that used to be in great condition. It is black on black with all of the standard chrome. I like it the way it is because the look matches the lines of the car's body. Simple, functional and beautiful. I don't like "busy" and think the new vette looks like a hooker (prostitute) car. Having said that and having warned you about my taste, here is what I think:
  • I like the bottom better than the top.
  • The color of the wheels on top doesn't match either version. It looks out of place. Whatever wheels I had would be chrome to match the bumpers.
  • I would go with a blacked out grill instead of the chrome. For years, every 78-84 Chevy pick up truck ran a chrome grill like the one on your rendering.
  • The air damn looks like it belongs on another car. Any air dam on this car should be mounted further back under the front end and be much less obvious.
  • I would lose the spoiler. It serves no purpose and detracts from the beauty of the clean body design that came from the factory. They did the same stupid sh*t with the Monte Carlo SS.
  • A black bottom with a claret top sounds absolutely awesome. The two tone will do nothing to reduce the beauty of the body lines and will probably make them look better. I don't like metal flake in paint jobs and this one especially. At 67, I have seen metal flake come and go in and out of style about four times. Once it goes out of style, your "look" will come off as dated. Besides, the flake will take away from the beauty of the claret color.
  • I like the stock hood, if you can get away with the under hood clearance. My hood is stock and my 2 fours manifold just won't fit.
  • I love the stance. The body sits just right.
  • I wouldn't go with any wheel bigger than a 17. Very low profile tires take away from the look of the car, in my opinion.
I guess I sound like a negative jerk but I really do like your vision for the car. It's just that the reason I love my Bu so much is because there is nothing there that doesn't need to be and nothing missing that should be there. Besides, it's your car and it should look like you want it too. Good luck!!

79 Bu.PNG

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I like both Jeff, but at the end of the day I gotta go with the upper. The deciding factor being the wheels. I love ZQ8 wheels on G bodies, but IMO they don’t work that well with the proposed combination. It might be the stock silver colour, I don’t know. Might look better with the ZQ8’s painted more like the YR1 wheels.

I also like the addition of the cowl hood, yes overdone now, but popular for a reason. It accentuates the lines of the car. At the end of the day, it’s your car, do what YOU really want and make no excuses.

Reactions: 2 users

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
My son and I both prefer the lower picture. The only thing I would change is to put chrome or polished aluminum rims on it. I think if you go with a metallic red on top you need to do metallic on the bottom otherwise I believe it will look off. I also would stay away from the cowl hood as it is over done on cars now a days.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
the newer Mazda colour-its called soul red metallic.
FOR
THE
WIN!
I love that color. It seems to look a shade better through polarized lenses. I wonder if you can get that same "pop" in the paint process?

Oh, and FLAT HOOD.

Last edited:
  • Indifferent
Reactions: 2 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I like the bottom picture with those 16 inch wheels.
But I think it would look better with the cowl hood.
Guy

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Nice renderings, like both. Black out the chrome, may be not the bumpers, (look at them after). Top pic rims OK, nice set of dished rims for a resto look. Mazda ruby red is an awesome colour, bottom black go with Ford Tuxedo black. No cowl or hood vents.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor