LQ9 in A Regal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAYO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2009
Any one ever done this? Pros & Cons? Doing some reasearch and all I come up with is LT1's, LS1's or BBC. Owning a SS Silverado I think it's a great motor with a great deal of torque. Other option would be a procharged 400SB.

What do you think?
TIA

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
all the same steps as installing a ls1 I would think, since the difference is internal between the two none of the external parts are different than maybe the pan

JAYO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2009
I figured that.... Hmmmmmm....

Cost wise, could I make good power numbers with a 400 versus an LS motor? Cost wise, motor for motor, power for power... What would some of you older G body guys suggest?

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
its a toss up if you can get one cheap enough and arn't scared of the tuning with Efi I say go for it but if you allready have the 400sbc then it would prob be cheaper both would be great. I am planning to put a 406sbc in my wagon because it is what I have already with alot of parts I have gathered over the years, and a very limited knowledge of tuning EFI but someday I would like to do a LSX / 6speed swap but it is just not in the budget for me at this time.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
do the LQ9 swap, in the long run you will be much more happy with it. it may take longer but its worth it. you will get more HP and better fuel economy with it. I would also invest in a basic lab top computer and a tuning program (HP tuners..EFI life ect...) its so much fun playing around with that stuff. and you always can save the original tune so you can do some experimenting. good luck

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
If I had to start a swap from scratch buying the engine, headers, and everything else that goes along with an engine swap I'd go LSx based motor no question! And I'd keep all the EFI related stuff that goes with it, too. It's just too good a system to toss out and go carbed. The power and mileage these engines are putting out is awesome.

Go to MalibuRacing.com there are a few guys there that have done the LQ 4/9 swap. I think it was 388bu that just finished his swap in his Malibu and it's very well documented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor