Ls harness question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I am following instructions on lt1swap and have a question.

Directions say pins highlighted in blue are needed for external connections. Are those pins removed or left in the ecu connector? If removed, are the wires removed from the loom so they can go to another connection?

I think I'm overthinking something. Just want to pull what needs out and not have to go back through.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The blue highlighted wires are needed, but by another ECU if you're using one or manual switches/relays, i.e. cooling fan and brake light triggers. The yellow wires can be done away with.

How are you running the brake lights, cooling fan and everything else highlighted in blue?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I am following instructions on lt1swap and have a question.
Directions say pins highlighted in blue are needed for external connections. Are those pins removed or left in the ecu connector? Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
If highlighted in blue do not remove the pins or the wires. You need them for a standalone harness.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
If highlighted in blue do not remove the pins or the wires. You need them for a standalone harness.

That was my original thought, but then I started second guessing myself.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
The blue highlighted wires are needed, but by another ECU if you're using one or manual switches/relays, i.e. cooling fan and brake light triggers. The yellow wires can be done away with.

How you running the brake lights, cooling fan and everything else highlighted in blue?
I was going to work on that once I got the harness stripped down.

Fans Im planning on sourcing electric fans and using relays. Honestly the rest will be questions I will need guidance on once I get to them. My research shows so far that most are using some kind of small fuse/relay holder to accomplish some of it.

I kinda just wanted to feel like I made one small step of progress first.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Regarding the brake lights, throttle pedal, transmission, cruise control, HVAC system etc, I'd recommend knowing how you intend to run all of these before I took wires out of the harness. Most of this stuff is very straight forward as long as you don't want the ECM controlling those items.

Lastly, take notes and save the notes (in a notebook work great ;) ) I have a notebook on every car I've built/swapped for reference later. Implying, record which wires you remove from you harness/ecm connector so that you won't go looking for them later.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Throttle pedal and wiring I saved from the donor vehicle. Was messing around one day coming up with possible solutions. Ac and cruise I am not doing. Trans and engine came from donor vehicle, trans is controlled by the ecm. No separate controller. Will be heat only.

I'm just working the wires out of the ecm connector. Figured I would strip them out and re-loom them once I knew what was coming out

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
So another question. Not sure if anyone encountered this. A couple locations that I was to remove pins, there were no pins. That I think is ok. Engine came from a 3500 box truck. It didn't have electric fans. It has a fan clutch.

Problem is there looks to be no opening to put a wire into it.

IMG_20220329_160321203.jpg

You can see in the pic what I'm referring too. Poked at it very lightly to see if it would "pop" out. Don't want to be to forceful and mess something up.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Just push the pins thru. I think it's like a grommet to keep water out. Atleast that's how my p(powertrain)59 was. Also I'm pretty sure the e(engine)38 is an ecm, so it doesn't have the transmission controller built in. There's a transmission controller (t42) under the driver battery tray of the trucks with e38 ecm.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Just push the pins thru. I think it's like a grommet to keep water out. Atleast that's how my p(powertrain)59 was. Also I'm pretty sure the e(engine)38 is an ecm, so it doesn't have the transmission controller built in. There's a transmission controller (t42) under the driver battery tray of the trucks with e38 ecm.

Sorry, said that backwards. I'm using the 6l90 trans, it controller is built into the trans.

Working on the harness some more today. Will see what I find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor