ls1 swap questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
I was reading up on swaping a ls series engine into the g-body or a a-body and was suprised on how many things you have to change to get on into the cars. Anyone on here do a swap and what did you have to move or change to get it into your car. . Like brake booster relocation bracket. Transmission tunnel. And the headers can you use the stock manifolds. The headers are so high priced its crazy the ones i have seen are almost double the price i paid for my ceramic full length .thanks for any help guys.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
You can keep your current trans with a $75 adapter from jegs. And trans dapt makes 1" set back motor mounts to keep the trans in its stock location. Do a quick search on here and/ or google. You will get more info than think.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
biggest thing is the oil pan and the a/c compressor... I went without a/c for now and used the CTS-V oil pan with the transdapt 4595 1in setback plates i had to relocate my alternator using speedways kit and notch my heat only box a little. as for the trans i originally used my built 4l65e but have switched routes with the t56... :wink: gonna try to modify the crossmember or just buy one. So far brake booster relocation and trans tunnel haven't been a issue except for the big hole for the shifter :mrgreen: Gonna start the t56 mock up soon! Headers on the other hand aren't on my mind for now seeing as i have to pass emissions's

GBODYLS3

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2011
I put an ls3 in my monte. I used BRP mounts and cross member. I used the Corvette C6 accesory drive and holley LS conversion pan. I didn't have any clearance issues with heater box or steering shaft. I have hedman's 1 7/8" long tubes. I did put a high mount ac compressor bracket on. I'm not sure if you would have clearance problems with the frame if you run the low mount compressor. You should be able to run exhaust manifolds if you don't want to spend money on headers. check out brphotrods.com. They have a lot of LS conversion parts.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
BRP mounts, Hedman headers, Iceman trans crossmember, Holley front accessory drive, GM Musclecar pan.

No brake booster or trans tunnel mods needed, I still think the only transmission that needs mods to the tunnel are the 6L80/90s

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
You can get the 1" set back swap mounts for $40.00 off of ebay, that's where I got mine. If you use a 4.8,5.3,6.0 truck motor, the stock truck accessories will fit except the a/c compressor. There have been a few people that have had clearance issues with the power steering pump. You can get a smaller pulley for it, from your local parts store. Mid length swap headers for a ls conversion in a s-10 pickup will fit without issues. The are around $250.00. Pacesetter 98-02 f-body long tubes will fit with some minor mods. You have to dent or reroute one tube on the passenger side. On the driver's side, the header kicks out at an angle on some cars, but can be fixed by heating up the headers and carefully bending them straight.

If your going carbed, don't buy the edelbrock carb conversion kit, it is a rip off. Get a msd 6010 box, and either a Edelbrock performer RPM or vic JR intake depending on what your goals are. The most popular carb. I have seen on the conversions are a proform\quickfuel. If your going fuel injected, you will need to buy a custom engine wire harness for the specific car your putting it in, or make one. You will also have to program\tune the computer or have someone do it.

If you are going to use an old school transmission(Th-350, TH-400, 700R4, etc.) You will need a spacer that bolts to end of the fly wheel, so the torque converter has proper spacing. You can get the spacer and the new longer bolts from your local GM dealer. Part #12563532 for the spacer, and part#12563533 for the bolt. You will need six bolts. They sell them individually.

For the oil pan, the one with the most ground clearance is the caddy CTSV pan. The 98-02 f-body oil pan will work as well, but you will have to modify your cross-member the pan sits above with the engine installed. If your car is stock ride height or lowered an 1" or less, the muscle car pan will work. Anymore than that, use the ctsv\f-body pan, unless you want the pan slamming into a pot hole. I got the muscle car swap pan kit for my car. It includes everything(pan, pickup, dipstick, bolts, windage tray, and gasket). If you go with the ctsv pan, you will have to buy all that stuff individually(much more expensive). You can get the swap kit from your local GM dealer as well part# 19212593. If you are going to order GM parts, I would suggest getting them from sdparts.com. My local stealership wanted gold plated prices for the parts I needed.

Hope this gets you started on your swap. ls1tech.com has a massive thread dedicated to g-body lsx swap. There is a ton of good info in it as well. http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-h ... hread.html

I'm in the process of doing\documenting my 5.3 swap in my cutlass. When I get it done, I am planning on doing a detailed write up with pics on how I did it. I'm waiting for the warm weather to finally show up here. It sucks having a single car non-heated garage in the frozen north.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor