3spd vs OD console shifter gear indicator swap

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have a 3 speed center console shifter gear indicator plate in my cutlass. It originally came with a th200

I have a 2004r in the car and I swapped the detent plate out for the 2004r one so I have all 4 gears that align to the trans.

Obviously the detents don't line up with the gear indicator plate.

Has anyone used this 4 speed console indicator plate on a 3 speed console top plate? Is it as simple as just cleaning the trim plate off and sticking it to the current location? I assume a 3spd and 4 spd length of the actual plate is the same?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Not as easy as that.

Unfortunately, Oldsmobile decided to use the hole method on the plastic piece that makes up the console box/ash tray/shifter plate base. When you pop up the shifter plate with the indicator on it, swapping those indicators out is easy because Olds just hot glued the indicators in place. Still got to be careful removing them so you don't break stuff.

But the big problem is the part numbers changed on the console insert because of the extra light holes for the indicator. You'll see it when you pop the shift plate up. The shifter will FUNCTION regardless. But the light holes only line up partially on the 3-speed base to the 4 speed base.

22525594 for 4 speed consoles, and 22502024 for the 3-speed version.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor