LT1 and 4L60E Swap in 85 Monte C SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remyline SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2009
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
This might be already answered but I am new so please be patient lol. Does the LT1 and 4L60e swap for a Elko imply on a 85 SS Monte C. I know a few things bout the Elko but I am new to the MCSS. What is needed to make this happen?? Thanks in advance JD.

Blake442 said:
If you're at all experienced with an El Camino, everything on the Monte should look pretty familiar, they're essentially the same underneath.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I am not a experienced mech.( i can get around but not to heavy lol), but my neighbor is, just not in this field. But with the help of you guys and a couple other boards i am part of, I believe we can do it. I just can't bring myself to pay someone 2500.00 "STARTING" price to stuff this thing in. I can't see that much work but like I said I am not exp. I have and can furnish most of the parts so what the big price for. JMO and you know what they say bout opinions lol.

Remyline SS said:
I just can't bring myself to pay someone 2500.00 "STARTING" price to stuff this thing in. I can't see that much work ....

I'm moving to OKC and start an engine swap service!!!

Remyline SS said:
This might be already answered but I am new so please be patient lol. Does the LT1 and 4L60e swap for a Elko imply on a 85 SS Monte C. I know a few things bout the Elko but I am new to the MCSS. What is needed to make this happen?? Thanks in advance JD.
What was the LT1 & Trans out of origionally?

86Cutlass383SR said:
Remyline SS said:
I'm moving to OKC and start an engine swap service!!!

Doug thats exactly what I told my neighbor. like I said I'm not a expert mech., but I'm no dummy and can learn lol so 2500.00 to me sounds like learn to do it yourself. Plus I love cars anyways.

Chevyman85 said:
What was the LT1 & Trans out of origionally?

Out of a 97 Camaro I believe Chevyman.

Do your research and make sure you get the correct frame mounts and the proper crossmember. As far as mounts go, the LT1 is just another SBC. I think the 4L60E is just an electronically controlled 700R4. Get the right mounts and crossmember and your *swap* is now just an * engine replacement*. Determine what EFI harness you're going to use. I like the harness I got from Howell but a lot of guys are using Painless. I've heard both good and bad about them but I've never used one. There are other harness companies, too. Determine where your fuel line will need to be routed. RUN NEW FUEL LINES!!! When I first did my TPI swap I tried using my old 5/16" main for my return. It was blocked and wouldn't let the fuel press drop below 100 PSI !!! Replace all 3 of the lines. Main 3/8", return 5/16", and vent 1/4". Wiring for alt, starter, a/c, etc may need lengthened/shortened. Headers and exhaust are the same as any other SBC. Driveshaft will probably need to be shortened but I couldn't begin to tell you a length. When you get the cash, drop in a 3.42/3.73 rear gear for that 4L60E. If you can pull and replace an engine whether it be a SBC or SBO, you can do this swap yourself. With a good EFI harness, it'll be plug-n-play. Only one sensor each plug will go into. Lay out the harness on the floor and identify each plug for each sensor. Do this a couple times and when it comes time to install in the car, you'll know where everything goes. Believe me, if you have enough knowledge to R&R an engine, you can do this yourself. I did mine and I'm no ace mechanic. I swapped my 84 Cutlass from a V6 3.8L Buick to a 383 TPI and T56 6-speed. If you need help, there's enough of us here who can either give you an answer or we can lead you to the people who can answer your questions.

Will it be worth the time and trouble? YES!!!
Will it make a fun ride? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!
Will it get better fuel mileage? Probably
Will it have better drivablity? Most definitely!!!
Will the "Pride in your Ride" increase? No Doubt !!!
The ability to say "I did it myself..."? Priceless!!!

So, go out and pull that hood off and get that old engine out... It won't happen over the course of a weekend as there are a lot of little things to get done. Just break everything down into small tasks and you'll eventually get it all done.

Tada! Your *swap* is now in the car and running. And yes, that smile on your face is a normal side effect...

86Cutlass383SR said:
Do your research and make sure you get the correct frame mounts and the proper crossmember. As far as mounts go, the LT1 is just another SBC. I think the 4L60E is just an electronically controlled 700R4. Get the right mounts and crossmember and your *swap* is now just an * engine replacement*.

Tada! Your *swap* is now in the car and running. And yes, that smile on your face is a normal side effect...

This is what I have been waiting to hear and thanks alot Doug. Lots of GREAT info in that paragraph bro, but these two things you said really stuck out to me the most and again thanks bro.

Glad I could inspire you. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.. either on the forum where the answer may help others or if you wish, PM me. We'll get ya an answer somewhere! I *do not* mean to make it sound bad but TPI/LT1 swaps are old technology. We are not blazing new trails and it's all been done before. So, there is a wealth of knowledge out there. It may be new to us but it still makes for a differant ride and one hell of a fun ride too!

With so many LSx swaps being common place, I'm beginning to like my older swap more and more. They are no longer the "common swaps".

Got that hood off yet...? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor