LT1 pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
87ttop said:
well im getting two complete setups for 1500 I.just need somebody to put them in my cutlass and elco I budgeted about 500 for each car on labor to get them running and driving, what do u guys think?
The labor charge really depends on who does it for ya. If its a shop then its probly gonna cost alot more. Why dont you do the swap yourself and save the cash?

87ttop

Master Mechanic
Jan 8, 2011
chattanooga, tn
I know it won't b a shop I want somebody who can do it at my place place I dont want to do it my self because it involves wires and computers

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I hear ya on the wires and computers but if you have the full harness your not gonna be doing much wiring. Pretty much a power wire and thats it. Of course your going to need an electric fuel pump wired in but those are simple to wire up. If you can install a car radio I bet you can install the needed wiring for this swap. Assuming you have the whole harness.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
People who say the opti spark is a continuing problem either don't have a clue and are repeating what someone else without a clue says, or they only messed with very early units. I have never, repeat never seen a vented opti fail as a unit at under 120k miles. Yes, you may have to put a rotor, cap and wires on it, but then again every other distributor requires that as well. Do not be scared off by the by the bs on opti spark, it's plentiful and uninformed. The failure rate on vented opti units is no greater than an HEI. :wink:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I hate to be a naysayer but I don't think $500 is going to get it done. If it goes to a shop it will cost waaay more than that but will probably be done correctly. If you can find someone to do the entire swap in your driveway for $500 I would be very nervous about the quality of the work. If your car has a SBC in it now I would estimate at least 20 hours to do the swap. These things will need to be addressed after the engine is bolted in:
-Fuel system (pump, lines, filter)
-Intake ducting (MAF, air cleaner, cold air piping?
-Cooling system (creative radiator hose combinations, heater hoses, heater valve, possible radiator upgrade, electric fan)
-Exhaust system (O2 sensor bungs, original manifolds or LT1s? headers?)
-Transmission (crossmember, cooler plumbing, shifter mods, driveline shortening)
-Electrical (Modified factory harness or aftermarket stand-alone? Wiring to the fuel pump, gauges, fan. How "factory appearing" do you want it?
-ECM reprogramming (delete VATS, air pump, after cat O2s, shift points.
-AC (custom hoses, wiring, recharge)
-PS (custom hoses, mount reservoir)

Kinda looks like the 400 was the easy way out :lol: . If you have the tools, skills and location I would suggest doing it yourself. The LT1 is a more direct swap than an LS but don't expect to just drop it in , connect a fuel line and a power wire and be on the road. I'm certainly not saying don't do it -- just be aware of what it really takes to finish the job.

87ttop

Master Mechanic
Jan 8, 2011
chattanooga, tn
Im going to get someone to look the motors over and look at my cars, the sbcs will be out before the job is started. so who ever does it will have a empty space when the motor arrives

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
87ttop said:
I ound a certified tech at a shop that my cousin uses and he said that he would do it for 400 each car what do u guys think

I think that's unrealistically low.

The physical swap, wiring, fuel pump issues, exhaust issues, possible accessory relocation, all for $400 a unit? I can think of about a half dozen cars that will be in line if that's really the rate for all the above.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Ribbedroof said:
87ttop said:
I ound a certified tech at a shop that my cousin uses and he said that he would do it for 400 each car what do u guys think

I think that's unrealistically low.

The physical swap, wiring, fuel pump issues, exhaust issues, possible accessory relocation, all for $400 a unit? I can think of about a half dozen cars that will be in line if that's really the rate for all the above.
Deffiently to cheap. There is hrs involved in doing it right. Remember you get what you pay for.

87ttop

Master Mechanic
Jan 8, 2011
chattanooga, tn
hes a friend of my cousin and he said that he would do for that so Im going with It. I only paid 200 each to get my sbc installed in my g bodies a few years back, what do you guys pay other places

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor