LT1 SWAP IN AN 83 CUTLASS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major_Bill

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2010
I'VE READ MOST OF THE POST ON THIS FROUM DEALING TWITH LT1 SWAP AND IM JUST CURIOUS IS IT WORHT THE SQUEEZE CURRENTLY HAVE A GM PERFORMACE CRATE ENGINE WITH CHEVY VORTEC HEADS AND RV CAM AN ELDLEBROCK AIR GAP ON IT . MY CAR ALSO HAVE AN EARLY 700R4 WITH 2000 STALL AND 4:10 GEAR IN THE STOCK 7.5 REAR END WITH AN AUBURN LOCKER, RICHMOND GEARS AND MOSIER AXLES IN IT. I VE RECENTLY CAME ACROSS A 1995 LT1 OUT OF CAPRICE WITH WIRING HARNESS AND COMPUTER ABOUT 78000 MILES ON IT THE PRICE IS ONLY $500 IVE TALKED TO STREET AND PERFORMANCE ABOUT A PLUG AND PLAY WIRING HARNESS SINCE I LIVE IN ARKANSAS ALREADY I ASKED FOR A SWAP DVD AND CATLOG I ALSO WENT ON LINE AND FOUND THE LT1 SWAP SCRAP BOOK BY MIKE GANON. I WAS PLANNIG ON KEEPING MY 700R4 I JUST REBUILT IT FOR THE SECOND TIME THIS HOPEFULLY RIGHT WITH A HARDEND 29 SPRAG, HEAVY DUTY CLUTCHES, SUPERIOR 700HP SHIFT KIT BRAND NEW DRUM . IM NOT TRYING TO HAVE A 9 SEC CAR BUT A GOOD DAILY WITH RELIABLE POWER . AND BETTER MPG BELEIVE IT OR NOT ITS PRETTY GOOD WITH THE 4:10 I DRIVE THE CAR OUT OF STATE TO TEXAS , MISSISSIPPI ,LOUISANNA,AND OKALOHOMA. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT ELSE I MIGHT NEED TO DO THIS SWAP IN A DETAIL LIST . I'VE READ THAT THIS SWAP CAN BE DONE FOR UNDER 2000 I PRAY THATS TRUE CAUSE MONEY IS REAL TIGHT WITH 4 KIDS AND BRAND NEW HOUSE. THANKS FOR ALL ADVICE AND HELP IT WIL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Major_Bill said:
I'VE READ MOST OF THE POST ON THIS FROUM DEALING TWITH LT1 SWAP AND IM JUST CURIOUS IS IT WORHT THE SQUEEZE CURRENTLY HAVE A GM PERFORMACE CRATE ENGINE WITH CHEVY VORTEC HEADS AND RV CAM AN ELDLEBROCK AIR GAP ON IT . MY CAR ALSO HAVE AN EARLY 700R4 WITH 2000 STALL AND 4:10 GEAR IN THE STOCK 7.5 REAR END WITH AN AUBURN LOCKER, RICHMOND GEARS AND MOSIER AXLES IN IT. I VE RECENTLY CAME ACROSS A 1995 LT1 OUT OF CAPRICE WITH WIRING HARNESS AND COMPUTER ABOUT 78000 MILES ON IT THE PRICE IS ONLY $500 IVE TALKED TO STREET AND PERFORMANCE ABOUT A PLUG AND PLAY WIRING HARNESS SINCE I LIVE IN ARKANSAS ALREADY I ASKED FOR A SWAP DVD AND CATLOG I ALSO WENT ON LINE AND FOUND THE LT1 SWAP SCRAP BOOK BY MIKE GANON. I WAS PLANNIG ON KEEPING MY 700R4 I JUST REBUILT IT FOR THE SECOND TIME THIS HOPEFULLY RIGHT WITH A HARDEND 29 SPRAG, HEAVY DUTY CLUTCHES, SUPERIOR 700HP SHIFT KIT BRAND NEW DRUM . IM NOT TRYING TO HAVE A 9 SEC CAR BUT A GOOD DAILY WITH RELIABLE POWER . AND BETTER MPG BELEIVE IT OR NOT ITS PRETTY GOOD WITH THE 4:10 I DRIVE THE CAR OUT OF STATE TO TEXAS , MISSISSIPPI ,LOUISANNA,AND OKALOHOMA. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT ELSE I MIGHT NEED TO DO THIS SWAP IN A DETAIL LIST . I'VE READ THAT THIS SWAP CAN BE DONE FOR UNDER 2000 I PRAY THATS TRUE CAUSE MONEY IS REAL TIGHT WITH 4 KIDS AND BRAND NEW HOUSE. THANKS FOR ALL ADVICE AND HELP IT WIL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Alright heres a little info for you.

An LT1 is exactly the same thing as a small block chevy but with reverse cooling, different style coolant passages and a more updated intake/ignition. The ignition (opti spark) is ****ing garbage.

I'm sure you could pull off an LT1 swap on the cheap but $2000 definitely wont include yours motor choice. Trans/converter and mountsare the same as SBCs because essentially the the bottom end is EXACTLY the same as a SBC.

Heres my opinion: Either save your $2000 and by an aftermarket injection system and build a regular small block OR go straight to an LS generation motor.

Since you already have vortec heads, I don't think you will have much to gain. And another thing, make sure the motor your looking at isn't the 4.3 v8 lt1 look-a-like.

I did a budget LT1 swap, I'd say I spent around 1000 total, I only paid 100 bucks for the motor though. It wasn't bad but if I were going to do it again I'd just go with at least a TPI intake with the older style distributor just because the opti-spark really is garbage. Plus its twice as expensive to buy new. You can check my pics and send a message if you have any questions. The distibutor is really the only downfall though. The power gains are amazing and overall I have had a lot of fun building it up. It's been strictly a project though and I never really gave myself any clear deadlines so I could shop around and find the best deals possible.

check my car domain at www.cardomain.com/id/WrightLimousine

THANKS BUT I ALREADY HAVE AN TRANS AND I STOPPED BY STREET AND PERFORMANCE TODAY AND TALKED TO MARK AND HE TOLD ME EVERY THING THAT I WOULD NEED TO DO THE SWAP SO THE REAL QUESTION I HAVE HAVE ANYBODY WIRED A LT1 TO CUTLASS WIRING HARNNESS AND DO U HAVE THE SCHEMATICS I WOULD BE GREAT IF ANYBODY HAD THIS INFORMATION IN DETAIL TO MAKE THIS SWAP A SIMPLE PLUG AND PLAY

The cutlass harness will have nothing to do with wiring the motor. The engine and the body have two separate harnesses.

It really depends on what you want to spend for the wiring. You can get a brand new, labeled, plug and play harness thats cake to install for like $700. Or you can pull a harness from a donor car and cut it down and make it yourself.

That would be nice if I cant find a donor car ive got a haness but its been a little butchered I ve got every from a 1996 cadilac computer harness maf another questioned will my headers from my vortec fit my Lt1. I know i can get a plug and play from Mena at Street and performace but its expensiveni nthink the harness will be last on the list of things to do . As of now im tearng the block downs so far pretty good and clean

just keep the under hood electrical center that was in he Caprice . You'll need that for the injectors/and PCM key on voltage. All I did was remove all the other maxi fuses I didnot need and mounted it to the rt innfer fender. You'll have to figure out the rt engine mount location on the frame also as the mounts from old engine (305 chevy)are different than the LT1 the left side was ok but I had to move the rt side back and weld it in place.
I can get you the wiring diagagrams for the caprice LT1 so you know what is what. I would use the engine and trans.. the single hump crossmember will work if the trans has 2 different mount locations like mine did or buy the double hump crossmember from jegs. the drive shaft in mine was longer and had to be shortened (200R4 to 4L60E) oh yeah make sure the engine you are getting is a 5.7L and not a 4.3L V8. check the left rear of the engine block ..5.7 should be stamped there. I know some Caprice cars came with a L99 4.3L W engine code that looks just like a 5.7L so check it first !
the Opti spark was kinda crappy but spend the $ and get a new on and forget about it. or just take it apart and clean it up. Not all of those went bad so don't get scared.
any other questions just let me know

I know this is an old thread, but I've done a LT1 sway to my 80 malibu. Jims performance done my harness for about 225. Very neat and labled. Its was plug and play basically. just hook all connectors to engine and cpomputer. only wires to tie in were the 12v continoius,fan wire for eletric fan, fuel pump and ground. Pretty nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor