Luxury sport shifting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakewood213

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2013
im brand new to this site, and have issues with my monte that maybe someone can help with. thanks in advance for taking time to reply with any helpful knowledge.
I have an 87 LS 4.3 with overdrive (not sure what number the trans is). after driving the car for about 20 minutes the trans downshifts rough, then when accelerating, the trans starts to take longer when upshifting through the gears but shifts too early, meaning it will go into overdrive at like 40 mph.
any additional info I may have left out, let me know, thanks

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
First thing to check is the throttle valve(TV) cable. It hooks on the side of the carb or throttle body, and goes down to the trans. With the engine turned off, push the release on the TV cable end at the carb, then push the inner liner all the way toward the firewall. Now push the throttle wide open, the cable will self adjust with a click. Also would not hurt to do a fluid and filter change.

lakewood213

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2013
much appreciated on the feedback. I now have a starting point. the car is a low mileage car, so I am hoping those low miles weren't hard enough driven to ruin the transmission. I will update as I go through your recommendations. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor