Mad Dog Headers, which oil filter to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

86GP2+2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2015
Louisville, KY
I've got my headers installed and it turns out the oil filter I was using with the Pontiac 400 won't fit with the headers. I was using a AC Delco PF24 when I had the engine in my Firebird, but it is too wide. Anyone else use these headers with a 400? Which oil filter fits? I'd rather not do a remote oil filter.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
If the 24 is too big in diameter, I believe the PF52 is what you will want. Should be a little longer than the 24, but only as big in diameter as the o-ring gasket. I have the MadDog headers too, but haven't got far enough to run into that issue yet. I'll be prepared now...

86GP2+2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2015
Louisville, KY
If the 24 is too big in diameter, I believe the PF52 is what you will want. Should be a little longer than the 24, but only as big in diameter as the o-ring gasket. I have the MadDog headers too, but haven't got far enough to run into that issue yet. I'll be prepared now...

I just looked into it a little further and the PF52 is metric threads. I think I found a solution though. PF46 might work though. I'll check back if it does.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
I had the issue years ago on a '70 GTO. I'm almost certain that it was the 52 that I used. Maybe it wasn't a Delco filter. It could have been the off brand from the parts store that I was working at. You should also make sure you're using the newer filter housing. Older ones were 90 degree, newer ones are a bit tighter than 90 degrees and hold the filter tighter to the block.

86GP2+2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2015
Louisville, KY
I'm not sure which housing I have, but the pf24 threads onto it. Maybe the later engines had metric, but mine is standard. The issue is the overall diameter is too big, it's right up against the header to the side of the housing. Plus the width of the filter prevents me from even getting up to the housing.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Here's a pic of what the two housings look like. The one on the left is what I think you should have. Both use the PF24. A friend of mine had to change from the 90 degree to the other to get headers to clear on a 70 GTO also. This might not be the same issue as what you're having, but something to check.
IMG_2235.PNG

86GP2+2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2015
Louisville, KY
Here's a pic of what the two housings look like. The one on the left is what I think you should have. Both use the PF24. A friend of mine had to change from the 90 degree to the other to get headers to clear on a 70 GTO also. This might not be the same issue as what you're having, but something to check.
I've got the one that angles towards the block. The threads are 13/16-16. The threads on a PF52 are 18MM x 1.5. I've ordered a Wix filter equivalent to the PF46, we'll see if it fits.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Glad to hear it worked out. I'm actually surprised the PF24 didn't fit. Now I know that I'll need another filter to be prepared at the dyno.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor