making bumper fillers last

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbartell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
What's the best way to get more life out of the factory bumper fillers? My fronts are still good, but the backs are starting to go.

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
Once the factory units start to crack there is no stopping it. I have a 6,000 mile 87 T here that only sees the sun at tracks. The rest of the time it is climate controlled. The passenger rear has recently cracked. What happens over the years you may see a white milk like coloration. This is the original chemicals trying to release from the UV rays hitting it. They are trapped under the paint.
We sell about every Buick bumper style filler for a GBody. We also came out with these. A little pricey but nothing compared to what GM was selling them for before they went discontinued.
http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info. ... f660889e43
We also carry an ABS plastic & fiberglass as well.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
Regals are the only Gbodys with Bumper fillers correct?

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
technically, don't we all have bumper fillers? I guess you could call them bumper covers for the Cutlass, GP, and Monte
the Malibu's have fillers too.

I know the GP's & Cutlass' covers are associated with warping, rather than cracking. Mine start to look wonky after a hot sunny summer.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Bweavy said:
What happens over the years you may see a white milk like coloration. This is the original chemicals trying to release from the UV rays hitting it. They are trapped under the paint.

Bweavy would be correct. The "white milk like coloration" is caued by plasticizers migrating and leaching out of the part. Plasticizers are added to resins to improve durability and flexibility. This is also common with instrument panels. The process can be slowed by applying Armour All or similar products and limiting sun exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor