Who makes the nicest steel cowl induction hood for the Malibu and El Caminos

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
unfortunately like ALL aftermarket parts it's a total crap shoot,pre-fit everything accordingly.my heart really went out to Mikester when his problem popped up..

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
unfortunately like ALL aftermarket parts it's a total crap shoot,pre-fit everything accordingly.my heart really went out to Mikester when his problem popped up..
Thanks for that comment. And youre right about aftermarket parts. The thing that tweeked me the most was the attitude of the guy that answered the phone at AMD. He knew the hood I bought didnt fit a wagon but he didnt say much when I asked him why they dont say that on their website.
I wonder how many plants actually make this sheetmetal over in Asia. Maybe low bids ? Who knows.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Does your hood look like this ? The guy in the shop told me about the issue after it was painted in the first coat of base. He suggested drilling the hinge and putting in a small screw as a stop. Not something I would consider. In the end I figured out a way to solve the problem and it gives me over 1/2" of space.

View attachment 229802 I have a ggod gap to windshield.

View attachment 229803

Attachments

• Hood Clearance (2).jpg
    Hood Clearance (2).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 52

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Wagons and 4 door A pillars are more vertical (not as laid back) than coupes to allow for a bit more head room

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I guess when these hoods were produced, they didn't take into account the A-pillar angle clearance difference between a coupe and El Camino compared to a wagon and 4-dr sedan.

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
Does your hood look like this ? The guy in the shop told me about the issue after it was painted in the first coat of base. He suggested drilling the hinge and putting in a small screw as a stop. Not something I would consider. In the end I figured out a way to solve the problem and it gives me over 1/2" of space.

View attachment 229802

View attachment 229803
Its definitely close, but not thats close.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor