Malibu frame replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

bignick

n00b
Feb 13, 2013
hey guys i have a 78 malibu and i am looking for another frame. i have found one but dont quite know if it will work or not.
here is what the ad says. 81-87 G-Body Frame Buick Regal, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Pontiac Grand Prix, Chevy Monte Carlo. Price is $400 for the frame NOT POWDER COATED.

do you guys know if this will work or not. will greatly appreciate any help. thanks

From the description I would say yes. El Camino frames are longer (and maybe wagons?). The rest are the same.

It's approx 3" longer in front than the Malibu frame. Ahead of the forward body mount to the bumper absorber mount tabs. Some have said that if you drill the bumper shocks, depressurize them, and collapse them they are close to same overall length....but you'll lose that minor bump protection

Wagon frames are the same length, but rearmost body mount tabs differ from sedan and coupe version.

Camino frames are ~ 9" longer

Ribbedroof said:
Wagon frames are the same length, but rearmost body mount tabs differ from sedan and coupe version.
So that's the difference. Over the years I've seen people say they are the same as coupes/sedans and I've seen people say they're different but not say why. I've also seen guys (falsely) say they were longer. Makes sense now coming from someone who'd actually know. Thanks.

DRIVEN said:
Ribbedroof said:
So that's the difference. Over the years I've seen people say they are the same as coupes/sedans and I've seen people say they're different but not say why. I've also seen guys (falsely) say they were longer. Makes sense now coming from someone who'd actually know. Thanks.

I picked up a perch for someone who was using a sedan frame under a wagon and needed it for the right side. On the right rail there is a perch like the one on the left side. The second hole from the end of the left rear rail is in the wrong location but a new hole can be located in the right location on the rail for the body mount. This isn't my picture, I borrowed it from another thread...

framewagon.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor