Malibu front brake upgrade ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dp406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 13, 2008
Brockport
I have seen on several posts that doing the b-body swap is a good idea I 'd rather go the s-10 dual piston upfront I have a 9 inch out back with a willwood disc kit and would like to a better set up than stock upfront, They sell drilled and slotted rotors on ebay for like 100$ stock size rotor which I believe is 10.5 and I feel the set-up I want, twin piston cal/drilled slotted rotors and hawk pads is good enough for the street/strip its not like this car is gonna see any scca events any time soon just normal street car. I guess the question is does any body know where to get these dual piston calipers I tried the local part stores all around and no luck and even at several GM dealerships I was told to look them up under a GMC Typhoon or Cyclone but still no luck and the chance at finding these in a junk yard is slim to none so if any one could help me that would be great or suggest any other ideas I know ssbc has a pair of calipers for 460 but I was trying to get away cheaper. Thanks !!!!!!!! Dale

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
Dale, I had a guy modify g-body spindles to fit 12" LS1 brakes. All in all I have $650 in the setup you see here and that includes shipping to my door.

99a.jpg

You can go on ebay and find 's10warehouse' and they sell complete s10 setups for around $300 and that usually includes the spindles/rotors/calipers - a bolt on deal. Its a worthy upgrade for the price.

Marcus has his following.. lol and knows his stuff, but IMO there are lot of folks who are buying much more than they'll ever need.

Lawfree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2008
Re: ebay

dp406 said:
Is this what your talking about ??? it says 4wd but IDK

Unfortunately you need the two wheel drive version which are hard to find.
Most 2WD S-10 clones had the single piston front calibers.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
the dual piston setup is from a THINK 98-02ish 2wd s10s, they also had rear discs on them with thte package. it is a dual pisoton caliper and 11" rotor BUT you have to get the whole spindle because it is different and it has a sealed hub with a knock off rotor. it will basically modernize your whole front spindle and brake setup. i have not driven with mine yet but i have read nothing but good on them and to me the sealed hub is a great idea. they look allot better also!

dp406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 13, 2008
Brockport
Thanks everyone for the info real helpful !!! I ll be throwing up some pics soon of my 78 Malibu 406 vortec heads 9in th350 12.34 @ 114 , done upgrades since MSD , and new stall courtsey of Comp engineering in north Buffalo , should be in to the 11s now but first time for some new fresh paint the brown is getting old and peeps around the area dont buy the sleeper look anymore.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I think (don't know for sure) that the better calipers and rotors off an S-10 probably came from the handling package GM offered on them back in the late 90's early 2k's. It came with the wheels off a 1992 Z-28, was lowered, and had more aggressive springs and sway bars. I believe it was available on a variety of models and trim levels as I do remember seeing a few of them with the Cavalier 4 cyl. engine and black bumpers back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor