Malibu front brake upgrade ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
I have done some research and am going to try using Fbody discs.

I have a complete set from a 79 Bird,the rotors are 11" and the pads/calipers are much bigger.

I have got mixed responces about the spindles be taller.One solution is the Moog offset cross shaft.

Hope to do it in the next couple weeks.

Will keep you posted.

dp406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 13, 2008
Brockport
Input has been great Thanks again, I have been looking on ebay at the s-10 store they got and waiting for the ZQ8 brakes to show up so we'll see

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I am planning to do the tall spindle conversion with the B body spindles, calipers and 1LE rotors on my car. I already have the Global upper arms with the Del-a-lum bushings and offset cross shafts. I will say these are NICE pieces! Much nicer than the stuff sold by Hotchkis and some others. I am also planning on swapping to their springs as well since I think they are softer than the Eibach's I am running now, and are designed to work with the tall spindle swap.

Lawfree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2008
dp406 said:
I have seen on several posts that doing the b-body swap is a good idea I 'd rather go the s-10 dual piston upfront I have a 9 inch out back with a willwood disc kit and would like to a better set up than stock upfront, They sell drilled and slotted rotors on ebay for like 100$ stock size rotor which I believe is 10.5 and I feel the set-up I want, twin piston cal/drilled slotted rotors and hawk pads is good enough for the street/strip its not like this car is gonna see any scca events any time soon just normal street car. I guess the question is does any body know where to get these dual piston calipers I tried the local part stores all around and no luck and even at several GM dealerships I was told to look them up under a GMC Typhoon or Cyclone but still no luck and the chance at finding these in a junk yard is slim to none so if any one could help me that would be great or suggest any other ideas I know ssbc has a pair of calipers for 460 but I was trying to get away cheaper. Thanks !!!!!!!! Dale

I just did a lil' more research and found that the ZQ8 suspension PKG. does not denote the D52 Dual Piston calipers with larger rotors. These units were Only available on 98" to 2003" Blazers (with and without the Extreme suspension pkg). The difference between the more common 4WD units and those from the 2wd is the size of the sealed bolt on hub assy. The 4wd unit has a bigger diameter and uses cheaper and better front hubs with sealed bearings. I have seen 2wd spindles machined to accept the larger hubs, but this can easily cost over $150. I just snagged a pair off a 2003 Blazer on ebay. I will post some pix when I get to that part of the project.
NOTE: Does anyone know for sure what the min. FRT. wheel size is (and wheel off-set) for these knuckle/ hub/spindle/ rotor, OEM assy?

Lawfree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2008
Tony_SS said:
You should be alright with a 16x8in wheel with a 4-4.5" backspace.

I'm still trying to find out what size wheels came OEM on the 98' to 2003 Blazers with the dual piston calipers. I'm hoping 15' s will work as I still have clearance problems using the stock FRT springs. I've got some 5660 MOOG springs (S-10 and Edelbrock shocks) that should take care of that.
Some conversions I've seen using these bigger blazer brakes rquire a spacer, somethting I hope I can avoid. I'm hoping the factory wheels use close to the same off set I have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor