MALIBU Malibu to Monte Carlo Steering Column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
My 80 Malibu has a factory floor shift (automatic) steering column. I recently picked up a tilt floor shift column from a later model (not sure the year) Monte Carlo.
What do I need to know (differences) when installing the MC column?

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
My 80 Malibu has a factory floor shift (automatic) steering column. I recently picked up a tilt floor shift column from a later model (not sure the year) Monte Carlo.
What do I need to know (differences) when installing the MC column?
You are going to remove the non tilt unit anyway, so just remove and line up side by side. Doubtful you will need any changes if columns are in same production year range.

I have non tilt in the one project car I have, I can change out to tilt of same year no issues. Yours should be the same.

About only issue I can see is 1980 SAE fasteners, 1982 and after GM standardized with Metric fasteners. So when doing change over just be aware some threads won't inter change. So some areas you might need to bring out the thread gauge but that's about it.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It's a direct swap. Even the Malibu's turn signal switch lever will go into the newer coulumn's switch in place of the turn/wiperswitch lever. I've done simular swaps in the past with '82 up columns into '81 & older cars.

Reactions: 1 users

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
You say later model, in 84(?) they changed some things with the windshield wipers, so you might have to change your switch out with that. Also, I haven't been around an 80, but where was the dimmer switch? I know pickups were on the floor, so you might have to do something about that part.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
All '78-'88's have the same dimmer on the column, '78-'81 have no wiper switch, '82-'83 have the column mounted switch that works with the '78-'81 non delay wipers or '80-'81 delay wipers, '84-'88 works with the later electronic wiper motors. Another not is the '79 up columns can interchange ignition lock as they have a easier to access screw that retains the lock in place & the same "double D" lower steering shaft, '78 do not.

Reactions: 1 users

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
Thanks so much for the information on the column swap. I’m eager to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor