Mallory Ignition melted HEI Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdnCutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I just finished installing a Mallory Hyfire 6 ignition box on my HEI distributor and went to start the car. It wouldn't start seemed like no spark. I left the ignition key on while I was trying to trouble shoot. Smoke started pouring out from the cap. I cut the power and pulled the cap and rotor off. The coil was melting! I went over all my connections and it appears I have everything connected properly. What's going on here?

Attachments

• IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 772

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Had the same thing happen with A Summit Distributor.( Dizzy, for the Text Minded here. Just so you all can follow along). Leaving The Key ON is the Problem. I Forgot and left the key on while I hooked up my Battery charger, Sent my coil up in smoke. Nasty Smell from the coil isn't It. :oops: DUH.. :blam:
Just change out the coil, Don't forget the Ground strap in the cap. It should be fine.

CdnCutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Prior to it burning up there the engine was not starting. It makes me think there could be other issues? Unless it was just the coil all along? The car was running fine before the ignition box install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor