manual trans in gbody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghardy27

n00b
May 2, 2011
hi gbody guys!

i have a 81 grand lemans and id like to convert it to manual.... yeah i know...
i would use a 5 speed from a 3rd gen camaro as well as the rear end for the gearing and disc brakes.
keep in mind im young, on a budget and learning with this project.

NOW: besides the extra pedal... can someone help with:

-crossmember ?
-driveshaft lenght?
-any other issues that i don't think of because im a Newbie 🙂

Thanks !

i did a 4 speed swap in my monte about 2 years ago . I"m in collage an on a budget my self i went with the manual linkage an factory bell housing . all you need is the clutch pedal u can cut the break zbar and upper push rod i got my lower push rod an return spring from napa. i got my parts from the parts place but highly recommend going some where else. i was lucky to find a guy locally who had a wagon that went to a 11in bell an i bout his 10.5 bell . also if you go manual rout u need to make a pedal stop. or you will eat up throw out bearings n
like no other .

I did a 4 speed swap in my cutlass a couple years back, but went hydraulic instead of linkage. I used a 10.5" bellhousing (from a 60's bus,) 3rd gen camaro clutch master cylinder, howe racing 82870 hydraulic throwout bearing, 3rd gen camaro v6 flywheel i think, and i made my own clutch pedal out of the original g-body brake pedal, then used a third gen camaro brake pedal with some modifications for clearance.

If i were to do it again, i would most certainly use a lakewood bellhousing so i could use an 11" flywheel and clutch. The camaro 10.5" flywheel was too thin and got really hot really fast, no good behind a 400hp small block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor