Master cylinder for rear disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
For stock front brakes and F body rear 12", yes usually.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
There is no valve in the master cylinder.
True

What you are referring to is a residual pressure valve inside the disc/drum proportioning valve, which you've already taken care with the disc/disc valve.
This is an internet urban myth. Our generation of cars never came with one. I've taken them apart, it doesn't exist.
If necessary, you can have rear discs with the stock valve

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have rear disks with the stock valve and the brakes work well with the late 80's B body wagon master.

Stock master doesn't have three bore diameter required to actuate rear disks.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Could you elaborate on this statement?

The not three, darn autocorrect...

But what I mean is that the bore on the stock master doesn't have the volume required (in my experience) to actuate the rear disk calipers. The rear disk calipers have a larger volume requirement than the drum cylinders and I experienced poor pedal feel, the pedal went to the floor and never firmed up despite the lines being bled well. The stock master is stepped and supplies more fluid to the front disks than the rear drums, going to the B body wagon part, even though it was built for rear drums, has enough flow. I can only assume the B body wagons used larger diameter rear wheel cylinders or GM decided they needed a larger bore master for the heavier car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor