Master cylinder for rear disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
Hello all,
There are a few old post on this subject, I am just checking to see what new applications are out now. Someone is always coming up with a better mouse trap !!!!
The rear disc I am using are the LS disc and later I will be putting the C5 disc up front.
Thanks for all the help, David

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I did mine with the easy button, hit up Wilwood with what calipers I was using so they could figure the piston volume and ordered on their recommendation. Lots of places to find the calculations online also. Of course remember the infamous "low-drag" G-body calipers that use a stepped bore master cylinder and angled seals, they have problems using straight bore master cylinders.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
First thing you have to ask is what year is your car, 78-82 use one pilot diameter between the booster and master and 83-88 use a different style. Gotta know what style master you need (early or late)

I've got LS camaro front and blazer rear disks and use a late 80's B body caprice Wagon master. I had really poor pedal feel with the stock master but the caprice wagon part helped a lot with its bigger bore.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I'm using S10 (2 piston calipers) up front and J65 Camaro rear disks (1 piston calipers). I'm still using the original master cyl as well as brake booster (1987) I changed the proportioning valve to a disk/disk one. Brakes work fine, good pedal feel with no issues at all.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you swap the front calipers to a larger capacity later, then whatever you do now will result in a deeper pedal when the larger calipers get put on. I think it will be very difficult to find a MC that will work with both front caliper setups.

Reactions: 1 user

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
First thing you have to ask is what year is your car, 78-82 use one pilot diameter between the booster and master and 83-88 use a different style. Gotta know what style master you need (early or late)

I've got LS camaro front and blazer rear disks and use a late 80's B body caprice Wagon master. I had really poor pedal feel with the stock master but the caprice wagon part helped a lot with its bigger bore.
My car is a 84 Monte Carlo.

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
With the setup you described, 1.0” bore master cylinder with the stock booster.

1.125” bore master cylinder with a B-Body 12” dual diaphragm vacuum booster.

1.0” bore from a right hand drive 2000 s-10. RAYBESTOS MC390572. If the reservoir doesn’t fit under the hood, exchange the reservoir out with a 2000 Camaro reservoir.

1.125” bore master cylinder from a 2000 Chevrolet Express Van 1500. Switch out the Express Van reservoir with the stock 1984 G-Body reservoir.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

CuttyTee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2022
What’s up guys. I’m new here on the forum. Just dropped a gen3 in my 88 cutlass awhile back. I picked up a low mile posi today along with all the rear disk brake goodies from an 01 z28. I have a d/d proportioning valve coming but not sure with to do with the master. Has anyone ever heard of removing a valve in the master to make it work with rear disk??🤞

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
There is no valve in the master cylinder. What you are referring to is a residual pressure valve inside the disc/drum proportioning valve, which you've already taken care with the disc/disc valve.

Reactions: 1 user

CuttyTee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2022
There is no valve in the master cylinder. What you are referring to is a residual pressure valve inside the disc/drum proportioning valve, which you've already taken care with the disc/disc valve
Okay, that makes sense thanks. Does everyone just use the OE master then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor