Me again...swap/powersteering pump question

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Yep, told you I'd be back. 87 4.3 LS to 72ish 350. I'm trying to reuse my cars partial serp system off the 4.3 on my 350. Will all the brackets and the p/s pump, alt, and a/c comp bolt onto my 350??? The power steering pump (and it's pullys) look a bit on the large side to fit. Also I've got headers on it and one of the brackets usually bolt to the top of one of the manifolds. Anyone make a bracket for this?

i had no problems with mine and none of the brackets needed to bolt to the exhaust. it all goes in the heads.
it should look like this right?

actually I don't have the big aluminum brackets, I just have a whole bunch of little misc ones that bolt to the water pump, heads and one of them, I believe it was either the a/c or p/s bracket, pretty sure a/c, bolted to the back of the compressor then to the first two exhaust manifold bolts. Do you know what I'm talking about? My factory setup uses three belts, one serp and two v's (one of which only ran the smog pump and wont be back on. Whats that system you got? What's it off of?

i dont exactly get your question but i know when we put headers on we have not been able to hook our a/c up due to one of the brackets hooking up on the exhaust. so yeah. some modification will be needed. i believe

ok, thats the rear a/c bracket. What I'm wondering is if the rest of the factory 4.3's power steering, and a/c brackets will bolt up to the 350 or if I need to find something else that'll work?

For the A/C bracket, you can do what Edelbrock does with it's TES headers for the G body. They supply a longer bolt and a spacer which permits installation of the bracket the same length away from the header. It is 1.5 in. long. You could make it out of a pipe nipple with the right ID and just cut off the thread and cut it down to the right size. It should cost about $1 to make. For the bolt, you can use the original manifold bolt in place of the shorter header bolts that you would normally use. It works very well and I have not had any issues with it. I would also recommend using the small header bolt lock washers you can get at the speed shop. They came with the headers on my car, and I have yet to experience a leak.

Here are some pics of the A/C bracket on the driver's side of my V belt car with the spacer and Edelbrock headers. Please forgive the un-retouched photos. I probably should have fixed the contrast.
l_d97e8e18dc039a34086789dafd940add.jpg

l_54e7e1ad503b497f3ca2447a10b4d23d.jpg

l_c9857341061821e9b893d73ff39574d0.jpg

Here's the Passenger's side spacer where the smog pump would normally bolt to.
l_50a988d614c799395e8efe74221c5321.jpg

l_744714f79d6ac62b7e1232921b84ecae.jpg

I swear I have the most photographed ugly 350 on the net... lol... Note the formerly chrome Holley mechanical pump I painted with black spray paint.

what i posted is a pic of a 4.3l v6 serpentine belt system on a 350. what you have is a regular v-belt system, not a serpentine belt system. hence the confusion.

Alright, thats actually my fault. But I do have one serp, just not a full system. So what exactly are the brackets you show on yours??? Off a vortech or something or what? Doe all the stock accessorys bolt onto your brackets or did you have to change it all?

you do need to change it all, especially the water pump since it's a reverse rotation system. you can find them on 90's astrovans, camaro's and trucks. they all bolt up to v6 and v8's with vortec or regular heads.
you might be able to use the stock p-steering pump but you have to change the puller. and you have to change the crank pulley too.
i think GMPP sells the complete kit for $500 if you want brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor