Metalshop- My First Braze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Well I got to braze for the first time in metalshop today. It was just a practice braze putting two pieces of 1/8 in. band iron together. We used oxygen acetylene torches. Teacher said A-, because I had some minor under heating and penetration was only about 85% through in one section. If you have any tips or pointers on brazing, please let me know. Check it out-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 510
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 541

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
keep it up, and you'll be re-welding my floor pans in no time! :rofl:

good work dude!

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Cool. I would like to learn to braze but I don't know what I would need it for. I have a MIG welder that does pretty much all I need. What are you planning on brazing? I know for some things like bronze or dissimilar metals it is the way to go.

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
joesregalproject said:
Well I got to braze for the first time in metalshop today. It was just a practice braze putting two pieces of 1/8 in. band iron together. We used oxygen acetylene torches. Teacher said A-, because I had some minor under heating and penetration was only about 85% through in one section. If you have any tips or pointers on brazing, please let me know. Check it out-

Three thing to improve your brazing skills, practice, practice, and practice :) .

Roger.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
I always liked using the torches and I love welding. If you think that is hard. Try welding aluminum plate with a set of torches, thats tough because if the aluminum gets too hot, you blow a hole through it. That took me awhile to get decent enough to pass the test in college.

Nov 4, 2012
Wow guys, thanks for the compliments, I'm glad some guys are taking an interest in this stuff. Brazing is really an old-world technology, most tech schools and hardly any high schools teach it anymore. I'm lucky enough that my high school does teach it, due to the fact that we have an extremely advanced Technology Education department. Our metalshop is larger and more advanced than most speciality trade schools have, which is great for me, the student. Anyways, most guys will not believe it, but Materials Engineering proves that a properly done braze is stronger than a mig weld in many applications. Brazing isn't nearly as versatile as mig welding, so a lot of schools stopped teaching it, thus why welding is a more popular option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor