Monte Carlo Checkered Mag Wheel Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

bchapvw

n00b
Jun 14, 2008
Hey there I have come across some checkered monte carlo mags and was looking to possibly make them work on my car.(1988 VW Jetta Coupe) I was hoping you guys could help me out gathering some info. I am pretty sure they are 5x120.65, but need to figure out the offset, width and size? Any help would be appreciated.

Brett

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
They are 5x4.75" and 14x6". Not sure on the backspacing...

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
your VW is a 4x100mm lug spacing. you will need wheel adapters which means you'll need deep backspaced rims.

bchapvw

n00b
Jun 14, 2008
megaladon6 said:
your VW is a 4x100mm lug spacing. you will need wheel adapters which means you'll need deep backspaced rims.

Do you happen to know the backspacing of these rims so I can figure out if they'll work?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Most G body wheels use a backspacing equal to half the width of the wheel. This equalizes the load on the wheel bearings due to where they are placed in the middle of the rotor/hub mounting face of the front wheels. FWD wheels typically run a much different offset because the spindle/bearing/hub relationship puts the bearing far behind the actual mounting face. This is also to equalize loading on the bearings by putting them midway in the wheel. This is why you normally don't mix FWD and RWD wheels on a FWD application. You may be able to fit FWD wheels on a RWD car with a large spacer, but you usually can't do the other way around. They will stick out too far.

(And yes, I omitted lots of technical information on newer RWD cars that is not relevant to this discussion)

bchapvw

n00b
Jun 14, 2008
Thanks for the info, I'm aware they will stick out (poke). But I have seen alot wider, rwd chevrolet wheels mounted on mark 2 vw's.(corvette wheels)
IMG_2706.jpg

So I think this could be made to fit, with a 5-lug conversion. Anyone know the specific offset number?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Aaah, C4 wheels. Those are more like a FWD wheel, and have a massive amount of offset. They do not center the mounting flange like a G body wheel does. Running them on a G body requires a spacer that is more than an inch thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor