Monte Carlo VFN Rear Clip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomss

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2010
Anybody ever installed one of these? I'm thinking about using one for my street car to get rid of the floppy urethane, but I'm wondering about fitment of lights and the license plate bracket. The picture is tiny, but it's all they have on their site.
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/8188monterear.JPG

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I have had no issues with my stock one being 'floppy' or bending at all on my 87. There is a small amount of flex that has saved it when bumped one time. Does yours have all of the internal supports still in-place?

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would replace your cover and make sure the factory supports are underneath.
You never know what kind of fitment issues you will have with a fiberglass rear and what will need to be modified and how much fabrication as far as fitting working taillights etc since those are basically race only parts.

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I also replaced my 83' rear bumper and taillights over 15 years ago with ones off an 87' and have never had any issues with the bumper cover.

kustomss

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2010
Yes, mine still has all the internal supports. I was thinking a more rigid part would be easier to make line up with the rest of the body, but even a small bump would probably be a big problem. Sounds like a factory setup is a better option. I was on the fence and really just needed someone to tell me it wasn't the best idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor