Monte rear-end

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2009
Hilton head island, SC / Wilmington, NC
I'm just wondering, i haven't ripped it apart yet, and kind've don't want too, but something is not stock about this rear end.

It's an 88 Monte SS, thats supposed to be limited slip right? When i punch if both tires spin and leave even treadmarks, and i'm not sure if its even slipping around turns because i can swing it really easy.

And if i burn 'em again both spin at the same time, neither slips ? The only thing i do however know is that the rear-end gears HAVE to be either 3.73's or 3.42's because on the highway i'm not running high RPM's to keep pace, in fact i can cruise at 70MPH at pretty much the bottom of 4th

Limited slip makes power go to both tires instead of going to the one tire with most traction . OR single black mark.

Limited slip you will not notice anything in tight turns. Unlike a locker rear that will bind in a tight radius .

As for gearing the lower the Rpms the higher the ratio . raise the RPms

In other words the higher the number of gears the lower the ratio . A 3:08 Higher compaired to a 3:73 Lower

you have 3.73's. pre-85 or 86 ss's had 3.42's.

Yeah i know about gear ratios, but i didn't know thats how a limited slip works, thanks for clearing that up MR442. I've never gotten big into rear ends but i'm going to have to, because this new motor is probably going to push more power than what that rear-end can really take

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor