Monte SS steering box

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2009
SW Florida
Ok installed a monte ss box in my elco -- did all the adjustments on the bench -- the pitman shaft "over center" adjustment and the thrust bearing preload (snug it up then back off a half inch and tighten down the lock nut). The power steering fells like half way between power and manual now is that right? there is just too much effort to it. is the trust bearing to tight? there is a definate difference in the handling..

Hard to tell from just a vague description, but it sounds just about right to me. I did the same swap years ago with a Buick T-Type box in my '87. Considering the low effort of the stock El Cam boxes, swapping to a high- effort quick ratio box is a shocking difference. Give yourself a few days to get adjusted to it, then post a follow up. Enjoy!

Bill

You might want to consider a power steering pump from a MCSS or GN.
They are valved differently for increased power assist.

....or you order the proper valve and parts.

I'll see if I can find the thread that details this, plus the part #'s.

I have a MCSS quick ratio box in my car, but never changed the PS pump valving. It does steer alittle harder, but I got used to it and like the feel.

Jack

It should feel very stiff as compared to the numb, dead feeling the stock box has. It sounds about right to me.

Will the MCSS box fit a 78 elky or are they different? When I look up steering box part #'s 78-79 elky appear to be different than later elkys.

Did you use your old pittman shaft or did the monte box come with one. Somebody said you would need the shaft from the monte but I dont have access to one because I want to do this but will be getting the box from autozone.

I also see the hoses are different part #'s. I'm thinking maybe the early A bodies have differnt threads than the the later G bodies? Maybe the older are SAE and the newer Metric?
Before I dive in, I'm trying to figure out if I need to change the lines and the pump. The fittings if different at the box would also be different for the High Pressure line at the pump, right? And after all that, would the rag joint fit? How about the pitman arm? I see 2 different MCSS power steering boxes, one "with Sport Package" and another "without Sport Package". Is the difference internal or does it have to do with pitman arms or something else?
I could just replace the stock box, but I have P235/60-R15 T/As and the worn original box allows the steering to feel loose with the heavy tires. Not sure if just a stock replacement would feel "tight" or if I'm better off with the MCSS box? Well, I'm pretty sure the MCSS box would be better, just not sure what's involved.
thanks

monte box

I'm not sure about the threads on your hose's -- to retro fit my 66 I had to go to Lee mfg for adapters but I then found out that napa also has them -- so to answer your question I don't know.. I got a monte box and it bolted right in with the pitman arm - hoses bolted right up no problem. Your going to have to dig a little. Try over at chevelle tech.com there all over this subject..
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor