more issues with my 283 what am i doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
hey yall,posting another topic here sorry, just hpin somone might be able to help me further. so about a week ago i threw a used 600cfm edelbrock on it in place of the 750 that was there and way to big.it ran a little better once tuned to the best of my ability. i then went through and reset the timing again, set it 8 degrees btdc, and also used a mr gasket advance curve kit i put the th weights and everything in and the silver springs. i also put new accel wires and a set of ac delco plugs in it cause i swear by ac delco plugs, cause the rest seem to burn up quick on me. so in summery its got a 600cfm carb, accel cap and rotor, high output accel coil, fresh wires, plugs, advance curve kit and been retimed. it ran really really strong all weak long running 89 octane. it was like night and day but with room to improve still all week long. i went out yesterday afternoon parked it for about 2 hours went to go home and it fired up went a 1/4 mile down the road and wouldnt idle or run barley at all unless i was into it. so this morning i pulled it apartagain and went through the timing and the distributor.theres a black dust film almost like charring on the rotor and bushing that gose beteen the coil and rotor in the cap. put it back together went through steps again still runs like crap idles like crap and backfires like crazy out the exhaust on decel. is the distributor messed up somhow, is the carb shot, i just need help diagnosing this thing cause im driving it daily until i put it away for the winter and get somthing else for winter. any input would great. i just want to make sure of what it might be before i spend more money, thanks

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
how old is the distributor? it sounds like eratic spark--that would cause the symptoms and the char in the dist cap. double check all of your connection at the distributor and coil. also double check your timing, just in case something moved.(i doubt it ,but always check the basics) plus you will be able to see if the timing is steady. if it fluctuates with the vac advance line plugged, and your connections are good, it probably needs a pick-up or a new distributor.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
i just talked to my uncle and he was just saying about the same thing. so im gonna borrow the distributor from my brothers elcamino project and see what it does. ihave been wondering about the distributor possibly be bad cause when i have gone through timed it the timing does seem a little eratic

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
well the used distributor we had worked out well, runs much better actually, got some tir spin outta it which is somthin i havent been able to do since i bought it haha, not much but a little, goin out and buyin a new accel unit tonight and puttin it in tommorow so i can give my brother back his for whenever his project gets runnin, thanks sorry to pesture people basicall twice for a similar thing but each time you guys have helped so thanks. hey ar the accel hei distributors good, just wonderin before i go spend money

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
hey, bother us all you want! :lol: that's what the forum is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor