more speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wakes1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2006
how can i make my 86 3.8L cutlass supreme go faster withought spending too much cash?

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Always make sure that you are driving downhill.

Wakes1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2006
lol that is a good idea but im screwed because im a saskatchewan boy we dont got any hills.

chev malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2006
B.C.
A set of headers from the Buy & Sell, would be a start. Around $100 CND, for good usedf ones. They can shave a half second off your 1/4 mile times without much more.

Failing that, perhaps move to BC, we have lots of hills.. :D

Ter'M'Up

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2006
from what I hear, and soon to try, if you have a 2bbl 3.8, then even a junk yard 4bbl manifold from 3.8-4.1 will improve performance, if not aftermarket intakes are avail...headers are a good idea. If your really into it there are some good cams available if you search long enough. If your car is anything like my Monte, rear gears are a litlle steep (great for highway, but the drive in between is little slow) you could try changing those for better acceleration, and if you have a bigger cam, torque converter might be required...if everything else fails, there is always the GN engine, sometimes hard to find, but well worth the wait for the turbo, and better crank.

A lot of the same tricks for V-8's apply for the 3.8, (like higher compression, intake, cam, etc) but availability is sometime an issue.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
You could certainly add headers and a four barrel carb to that 3.8L for increased performance. Then you could install a performance cam and modify the heads for increased flow and and more compression. What would you end up with? You would have an engine that you have spent considerable time and money on that doesn't have the performance of an inexpensive 350cid engine swap. Don't waste your time or money.

Wakes1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2006
thanks for all the info guys (i dont want a 350 because thats what everybody does)

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Everyone does it because it is the least expensive and most effective way to increase performance.

Wakes1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2006
that is my plan for the long run but now i am going to university and a fuel consuming V8 will kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor