Motor help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
What's. Everyones opinion on how to make good easy power in a 350 without boring it and all that. I can get a good 350 or 400 from a buddy and want to have decent power bout 300 to 350 hp. So how can I go about doing this cause i want a good cruiser that will get up And go when I need it and drive anywhere if I wanted cause I want the ac back on to

You could prolly do that with an aftermarket cam, intake, carb and headers...............

Yea your probly right. That's what's done to my motor now and I have about 300 hp now. But I have a 89 motor with a roller cam and I would like alittle more hp then that cause I no the ac will take hp away. I just don't know how much really

Yea heads would help alot and alumunim would be my first choice but I may just get some vortec heads cuz they flow good and are cheap kind of. Does you guys think 350 would be better or a 400.

It's easy. I built my motor and i'm running almost 500 HP, if not 500 at the crank and i'm using a pair of GM heads, ported the **** out, but still GM heads.

Start with the cam, get an entire matching valvetrain set of comp or lunati cams, pull the heads and do a cheap port job, and or fit them with the 2.02's. You can prolly get away with keeping the stock carb, or just pickup a nice cheaper rebuilt holley from summit.

And get a nice aluminum intake, and port match it to the heads, you can do that yourself with a dye grinder. If you want to go the extra mile, get a mallory or MSD HEI dist, and a cheap pair of headers, then wrap them. And you'll make an easy 300-350 without slashin the milage, and you'll handle heat alittle better.

make sure you get a cam that your heads can handle.

That is exactly what I want to do. I have the headers and intake and distributed. I just need another short block and heads and cam pretty much

Your cam is the key component, If you get a nice mild-radical cam KIT, make sure you get the matching rods, lifters, springs and a nice set of roller tip rockers, or if you're trying to spend the money get full rollers. Comp cams in my opinion has the best kits, lunati makes good stuff too.

yea ive always known that the cam is the key but ive never messed with it cause if u get it wrong then it will mess up the hole motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor