motor mount block brackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

1981kc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2011
I am new at this so please understand if my questions seem dumb. I am trying to install a 350 in my 1981 Malibu, replacing the old V6, and I am having trouble finding new block brackets to bolt to the clam shell motor mounts. I ordered the clam shell mounts from Summit Racing and they mount onto the frame just fine. The bracket that mounts to the block is what I can not seem to find new. The ones I purchased were to narrow to go over the clam shell and I can not seem to find any other brackets that will work. The clam shells are about 4 inches wide and the brackets that I purchased were only about 2 1/2 inches wide. Do I have the wrong clam shell mounts? If not does anyone know what the correct block brackets are and where I can buy them? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Part numbers would be great. Thank You

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
There isn't anything available new.
You just need the brackets off of any SBC powered G-body.
Keep an eye on the For Sale section or post in the Wanted section.
I bought a set off a member of this forum when I needed some for my most recent swap.
I posted in the Wanted section, and within 3 days, 5 people replied that had some to sell...

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I believe you can still get the "bucket" mount from GM, like $40 each :puke:

When I was looking for them, I placed a wanted ad on craigslist and somebody called and gave me a set of them. You have the correct frame mount. The summit block side motor mounts are made for the solid style frame mounts, that is why they are so narrow. Searching and waiting :mrgreen:

What motor was in the Malibu :?:

1981kc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2011
Thanks for the help. I think the original engine was a 292 V6. All I know for sure is it never seem to run right and had no power. I am putting in a 350 350 with a 700r4 transmission and a positraction rear end with 342 gears. The car only has 100,000 miles on it and has no frame rust. It came with buckett seats and a console. I have the guage package with the tach to put in as soon as the engine and transmission are done. I have had the car for 25 years and have just now decided to change the engine. I just joined this yesterday after I found the site looking on the internet for the motor mounts. Thanks again for the help.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Well, welcome to the forum :D

These things can be a pain to find. If yo have the cash, just go get them from a GM dealership. You could also try a local salvage yard. I called a salvae yard, the day before I got my free set, and he only wanted $20 for a set :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor