Motor Mount Swap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D's350GP

Apprentice
Aug 14, 2006
Hey guys, before i swap my motor mounts for the 350 going in id like to clear something up. Ive heard that when you swap mounts you need to remove the bolt holding the lower control arm on to the cross member. I saw a motor-less Camaro at the junk yard one day, and it looks like it would be a real b*tch to remove without taking the control arm off. So is there a reasonable way to replace the mounts without removing the control arms, and if i do have to remove them, do i need to rent a spring compressor to get them back on?

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
You don't have to remove arm. Take a piece of mechanics wire (approx. 8-10 inches long) loosely wrap it around the shaft, near the head of your new bolts & "fish" them thru the space between the frame & arm, put it up thru the hole & thread the nut on finger tight, once it's finger tight, yank hard on the wire to unwrap it from the bolt & then you'll be able to get a long end-wrench in the space to hold the bolt while you tighten the nut.

Re-peat on the others.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I got mine loosened with an impact & when there was enough room between the frame & motor mount, out came the sawz-all with a long metal cutting blade. Made short work of the bolts. :lol:

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
I got both of mine off using just wrenches in less than an hour without taking off the Control Arm. Its hard to get to a couple of them, but once your under there you will find enough access holes. Having a universal joint for your socket wrench helps a lot too.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Wrenches, extensions, a universal, and a magnet. Nobody says u have to put the nuts back on the bottom side. Its easier to use a skinny magnet and oull the bolt up through the hole assuming the engine is out. If the engine is in then put a piece of electrical tape across the closed end of the wrench, place nut inside and wiggle into the openings of the frame. I've never cut anything, removed anyhting, or had prob on motor mounts. The fuel lines in the way are the hardest part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor