Mutts

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
My wife grew up with her family having daschunds so I wasn't surprised when she found one this spring. I grew up with outdoor goldens and sheaphards so getting used to an indoor small dog was a bit of adjustment but not too bad.

She's mostly daschund and partially black lab somehow. She came pre loaded with the 'fetch' command from her inner lab but didn't come with the 'swim' function.

FB_IMG_1604028471274.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Nearly a year now we've had the new mutts. On the potty training thing, i uncovered & redone our previous dog's dog door a month after getting them. Helped tremendously. Got them narrowed in to concrete area of backyard only for now & trained them both to go to a 4 x 6' section of fake grass. The girl mainly still uses it, but the boy gradually more so just goes where he wants outside, just keep a scoop & hose & nozzle ready to go at all times. Hope to next year expand their backyard area.
Now, on the in the house training, didn't know 1 little thing till the day we were picking up dogs to bring them home. The 6 puppies lived on a farm with 3 other dogs. The daughter that owned the puppies never let them outside for fear of getting parvo or something before getting vaccinated. So she trained them on pee pads & get this--------- RUGS. What does most every house have that you don't want a dog to pee on ????? So we have them limited to front of house only & can't have rugs, just keep a small towel near dog door At the moment it's been weeks since I know of finding pee in the house, but it will just never be a 100% thing with them, EVER. Rainy days are still challenging & the wife keeps brown couch covers on the couches, washing weekly outside of any accidents. White or blue towels or covers are a target for them. Hope to afford leather furniture sometime here.
I did get one Winix air purifier with carbon filter, does help some for the mini hound dog smell.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Wow, people are idiots. Our Pomeranian is still uncomfortable in the basement. He was locked in a kennel in his former home. Yeah, rainy days are famous for accidents, the only time we have an occasional one. A far as fetching, these guys are hounds. Our oldest Penny learned to fetch in about 2 minutes. They play keep away fetch, bring you the ball and take it away at the last minute. Their sense of smell is crazy. Penny "Woof's" at me to get her ball from under the couch, she can smell it. You can pull out 5, if it isn't the one, keep looking. Usually the one she wants is way back in corner where it is hard to find and reach. They are very fun and sweet.

Reactions: 2 users

TType85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
Wow, people are idiots. Our Pomeranian is still uncomfortable in the basement. He was locked in a kennel in his former home. Yeah, rainy days are famous for accidents, the only time we have an occasional one. A far as fetching, these guys are hounds. Our oldest Penny learned to fetch in about 2 minutes. They play keep away fetch, bring you the ball and take it away at the last minute. Their sense of smell is crazy. Penny "Woof's" at me to get her ball from under the couch, she can smell it. You can pull out 5, if it isn't the one, keep looking. Usually the one she wants is way back in corner where it is hard to find and reach. They are very fun and sweet.
My JRT/Chi mix is that way with her ball. I can line up multiple identical balls and she will get "the one" EVERY time. It sucks when she finally destroys one, it takes a week or so for her to attach to another ball.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Penny doesn't destroy balls. The other two skin tennis balls. Our youngest guts any toy with a squeaker. Right now she is attached to the little Halloweiners from Walmart. The look like Frankenstein, a Mummy and Skeleton in a stuffed, skinny weiner dog. She spent about 20 minutes straight chewing on one. Any stuffed dog that looks fairly real, they rip off the ears and eyes, even Penny.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

TexasCutlass

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2020
Our rescue pit on the pit, poor boy looked like he was on his death bed when we got him. He had just started getting his weight and fur back in this pic. Turned out to be a very awesome dog, 2 years with him so far.
FullSizeR.jpg

• Friendly
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Dachshund's are bored today, Penny decided to make a new game. Place squeaky toys under a 3 foot square pillow and jump on them. Penny doesn't even much care for squeaky toys. She is doing it to get Lily to play with her, Lily loves squeaky toys. They were jumping away, having a great time. Even Dixie claimed ownership of the pillow, again only wants to destroy squeaky toys. Penny also grabs Lily favorite Foxy squeaker when Lily takes her ball. He Lily drops the ball to grab the squeaker, Penny grabs her ball, the old bait and switch. Lily got wise to it, now just keeps playing with the ball. Fun little guys, when they are not sleeping, which is often.

Reactions: 1 users

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
Yes, so do I. I had a dog pass away last year, and someone said it's just a dog.

I told them "not to me".

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I think more of my dogs than the majority of the people i deal with.
Gotta love a dog:)
X2 with this. A pet won’t lie or be spiteful or vindictive. You always know where you stand with an animal because they can’t hide their emotions. I find it very pleasant. Much unlike many, not all, of the people that I encounter in a normal work day.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor