BUILD THREAD My 1984 Monte Carlo SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Hay there looking! A few post back I noticed your power kill switch is wired to the positive side. I don't think that is right. If the car is running and you disconnect the positive cable from the battery the altinator can still power the car. The ground side should kill all the power if disconnected. That's how I wired my kill switch in my Nova. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
Hay there looking! A few post back I noticed your power kill switch is wired to the positive side. I don't think that is right. If the car is running and you disconnect the positive cable from the battery the altinator can still power the car. The ground side should kill all the power if disconnected. That's how I wired my kill switch in my Nova. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.
I'll definitely look into this, but the way I wired it up as soon as I hit the kill switch I will lose power to the relay powering my ecu, if the ecu has no power the car won't run.

Last edited:

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
You should wire the alternator direct to the battery or at least to the battery side of the kill switch.

This way power is totally killed and you dont burnt up the alternator.

Also what gauge is your main wire, looks kinda thin to me?

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
You should wire the alternator direct to the battery or at least to the battery side of the kill switch.

This way power is totally killed and you dont burnt up the alternator.

Also what gauge is your main wire, looks kinda thin to me?

Everything on the ecu side of the car is all 4 gauge welding wire, so it appears thin.
But off the solenoid to the starts is all 1 gauge stuff.
After looking through everything you are right I will be re-wiring the alt to the battery directly.
Small miscalculation on my part :(

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
Little update tacked the waste gate exhaust into the the down pipe, just need to find some free time to tig weld it

Also made up a set of stand for the car so I can work under it when it is sitting at ride height, they are super handy and easy to make.

Goals for the next few weeks are to get the battery/alt wiring corrected, wrap all the exhaust components, pre oil the motor and bleed the brake system.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Another thing to keep in mind, if the starter sticks it can become a generator and keep the car running. The only way to stop it when that happens it to cut the ground. Either a switch or disconnect ground cable. Sorry I will shut up now and watch this monster being built. Very awesome by the way!

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
Another thing to keep in mind, if the starter sticks it can become a generator and keep the car running. The only way to stop it when that happens it to cut the ground. Either a switch or disconnect ground cable. Sorry I will shut up now and watch this monster being built. Very awesome by the way!

Thanks for the compliment!!

Ryan Harris

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2016
Oklahoma city
Awesome build! I've got a quick question. In the very first pic you posted on pgevon of this thread. What size wheel/ tire is on the rear and what offset? Thanks

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
Awesome build! I've got a quick question. In the very first pic you posted on pgevon of this thread. What size wheel/ tire is on the rear and what offset? Thanks

The rears were 15x10 with 4.5" of back spacing, but I had to run a 5/16" spacer because I didn't have a frame notch yet. The tires were 295/60 R15 I'm pretty sure

Ryan Harris

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2016
Oklahoma city
The rears were 15x10 with 4.5" of back spacing, but I had to run a 5/16" spacer because I didn't have a frame notch yet. The tires were 295/60 R15 I'm pretty sure

Thanks man. So to eliminate spacer roughly a 4 inch backspace woulda worked. I want that same size tire and look for my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor