my dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsdude

n00b
Aug 12, 2005
Hello to everyone reading this I'm new to this site and I have a problem I hope you can help me figure out. First off let me say that I have owned a couple of G bodies in my past a 82 cutlass and a 83 Regal. I am now considering buying another one as I really enjoyed both of them. (I actually still have the cutlass) My dilemma is this; I currently have my pick of an 88 monte carlo SS, or an 82 cutlass supreme. The SS is my brothers and he'll let me have it for $1200. The 82 is my wifes great aunts and she wants $500 for it. They are both in about the same shape they need paint, they both have right at 100,000 miles on them and they are both very driveable.
the SS looks like the obvious choice as it will always retain its value better than the cutlass it came with a small block chevy for which parts are overly abundant and swapping in a 350 or a 400 is an easy bolt in.
The cutlass is my preferred body style of all the G bodies and the interior in the one I'm looking at is perfect. The other thing that makes this car attractive to me is the 82 cutlass I already have. It is the perfect parts car. Sadly my brother ran into a light pole with it and although I replaced most of the front end it still needs some help. I figure I could just swap most of the parts I already have on this car to the cutlass I'm looking at buying. these parts include a 403ci engine that is really strong, a 350 hydramatic transmission, GN rear end, front and rear sway bars, and 8 inch rally wheels.

What do you guys think about my situation. I've always loved the cutlass's but the SS looks pretty good to.
Another wrench to throw in the works is the fact that I've got a 454 that needs a home and the SS would be a good one.
I guess I'm just looking for someone elses opinion. Thanks for letting me rant.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
oldsdude said:
Hello to everyone reading this I'm new to this site and I have a problem I hope you can help me figure out. First off let me say that I have owned a couple of G bodies in my past a 82 cutlass and a 83 Regal. I am now considering buying another one as I really enjoyed both of them. (I actually still have the cutlass) My dilemma is this; I currently have my pick of an 88 monte carlo SS, or an 82 cutlass supreme. The SS is my brothers and he'll let me have it for $1200. The 82 is my wifes great aunts and she wants $500 for it. They are both in about the same shape they need paint, they both have right at 100,000 miles on them and they are both very driveable.
the SS looks like the obvious choice as it will always retain its value better than the cutlass it came with a small block chevy for which parts are overly abundant and swapping in a 350 or a 400 is an easy bolt in.
The cutlass is my preferred body style of all the G bodies and the interior in the one I'm looking at is perfect. The other thing that makes this car attractive to me is the 82 cutlass I already have. It is the perfect parts car. Sadly my brother ran into a light pole with it and although I replaced most of the front end it still needs some help. I figure I could just swap most of the parts I already have on this car to the cutlass I'm looking at buying. these parts include a 403ci engine that is really strong, a 350 hydramatic transmission, GN rear end, front and rear sway bars, and 8 inch rally wheels.

What do you guys think about my situation. I've always loved the cutlass's but the SS looks pretty good to.
Another wrench to throw in the works is the fact that I've got a 454 that needs a home and the SS would be a good one.
I guess I'm just looking for someone elses opinion. Thanks for letting me rant.

with the way the prices are starting to up on G-bodies (hell I thought my 81 at $1500. was a good buy), I'd buy both. Do a little work, worst case scenario, sell one for a tidy profit, and if you find that GN (or 442 same differential but the Olds could have even steeper gearing 3.73:1 versus 3.42:1.....btw that SS has the 8.5" with the same gearing as the GN) to yank the 8.5" out of, I'd snatch the 200-4r too

78lemans

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2006
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
I've always had a hard time making descisions. Buy both, then you won't have any regrets other than a lack of garage space.

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
This is deffinetly one problem I wouldn't mind having! I agree with the "buy them both" response. You'll regret your decision if you only buy one. You'll always say "I could have owned the SS!" or "The Olds was my favorite, I really screwed up." But if money is a big issue, go with the Cutlass. Less initial investment, plus you have the "parts car." Thats deffinetly the way I'd go. My GBody has the doodoo 231 V6, and right now the main thing holding me back from doing anything else enginewise is money. Like most people, I guess. The other thing would be my wife. If I took a working engine out of a car just to have more power, and spent money to do it, I'd be sleeping on the couch until 2037. So my advice, either buy both or go with the Olds. No matter what, I hope it goes well with you. Peace!

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
DrRansom442 said:
with the way the prices are starting to up on G-bodies (hell I thought my 81 at $1500. was a good buy), I'd buy both. Do a little work, worst case scenario, sell one for a tidy profit, and if you find that GN (or 442 same differential but the Olds could have even steeper gearing 3.73:1 versus 3.42:1.....btw that SS has the 8.5" with the same gearing as the GN) to yank the 8.5" out of, I'd snatch the 200-4r too

Maybe I'm reading this wrong.... But the SS rear is 7.5", not 8.5" and the SS gearing is 3.73 with the GN gearing being 3.42. Or did you mean he should find an 8.5" rear and put it in the SS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor