My First G Body

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I assume this car was a stock 260 car factory? I would bet something like a 2.41 open diff. The first thing I blew up with a 403 was the soft open spider gears. The Yukon replacements are cheap and much harder, slicks didn't hurt them. See what trans is under it, hopefully not the dreaded TH200. It could also be a TH250, look for a stud by the cooler lines. I toasted a high mile TH250C in one day behind my mild 403. Also look for an electrical connector on the front of the pan on the driver's side, that indicates a lock up torque converter trans. About the same strength except about twice the price for a high stall converter. Those 4A heads stock suck for flow, about 195/120, hopefully some port work was done, the exhaust side especially with a bigger exhaust valve, 1.5" is stock. If it does have the KB 6cc dish or the Arias 3cc forged, the Edelbrock BBO heads, 77cc vs you 84cc chambers, will bolt right on once the head bolts holes are enlarged. If he lied and there are 21cc dish pistons, Edelbrock is coming out with a small block head with about a 10cc smaller chamber. Both will work with your RPM intake and flow 265/190. Unfortunately Edelbrock is behind and they are months away with the new heads and out of stock of the old version. Cutlassefi, Mark Remmel has worked with them for the redesign which includes an ultra modern Combustion Chamber upgrade. Procomp also has a 85cc chamber head, not 77cc as advertised that flows around 225/190, 240 on the intake with minor port work on the intake opening. Bare is best to buy, the valves and springs are of questionable quality. Good luck, a 403 should annihilate the rear tire of the line, if doesn't, something is off in the combo. Again, probably the nicest combo I have seen in the late 70's Cutlass, I love it blacked out.

Reactions: 1 user

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
Very nice ride... always wondered what mine would look like all black as I'm not a huge fane of the Gold topping on the HO's

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
🤔. Is it just me or does this car look really familiar, like it's been seen here before.

And welcome to the site!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have to say, if I were to own an NA g-body, then it would have a 403 in it.

Move the throttle lever by hand, then remove the cable see if it works the same. If it gets easier with the cable removed, then check how easy the throttle pedal moves with the cable not attached to the carb. The results should give you an idea of why you have a stiff peddle. Be sure the power steering pump is filled to the correct level. Then with the car running remove the cap and see what's cooking in the reservoir - it should be flowing and no aeration. If it's all bubbles and blowing out, then put a pump on it and re-test. The other stuff is pretty simple to figure out.

Curiosity is killing me - did you give over 7K for it? Don't answer if you don't want.

And the 403 should roast the tire(s) at will if everything working correctly. Love the car man!!!!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor