My first race of '09 with the 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
carbuf said:
The 307 may not be known for it's horsepower rating, but all of the wide V configurations (ie: Buick, Olds and Cad V8's) are great at off the line torque. Combine that with some steep gears, and you can run away from most "racecars" on the street, even if it for only about two blocks! Still a great way to have fun in a street car.

Agreed!!! 3.73's out back & the steep 1st gear in a 200/4r trans helps give a great launch.

The Monte Carlo SS of that era seemed to get all the attention as a "quick" stocker. The Olds H.O. 307 & Chevy H.O. 305 were rated at pretty much the same power & the drivelines were identical. Yet the SS got the street credit.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
A lot of people with older hondas B16's forget that their bolt ons only bring their power output to around 140-150hp. It feels quick, esp. if that crx is a manual...I know because I have a 100hp+ D15 civic that pulls nicely at high rpms but I wouldn't be dumb enough to ever race anyone with it. They're very fun cars to drive and especially corner with. They jump off the line until 20mph. And that's all they do, unless it's turboed. With nitrous it's the same effect but a little faster = still slow in a straight line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor