My wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car Junkie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2009
Wakefield, Massachusetts
I don't think I ever posted any pics of my wagon so I thought I'd do it now.

It's a 1982 Olds Cutlass Cruiser that I transplanted a Buick Turbo V6 into. The engine has Diamond forged pistons, a Comp 206 roller cam, a Kirban 3" down pipe and 3" dual exhaust, 50 lb injectors, home ported (and probably ruined!) stock heads, Alky Control Methanol injection, Turbo Tweak Alky chip, Limit Engineering TA 60 turbo, Cometic head gaskets, a CAS V4 intercooler, ported intake and a K&N filter with an aluminum intake pipe. I used a Casper's conversion harness which has a lot of nice features like extended grounds, built in "hot wire" for the fuel pump, all relays under the dash, etc.

The transmission is a BRF 200 4R with an Art Carr input drum, a Trans Go shift kit, Sonnax super servo, Art Carr aluminum pan and a B&M cooler. It also has a PTC 2800 stall 10" convertor. The driveshaft is a 3" replacement for the stock2 1/2" one after it broke in half on the chassis dyno. That was interesting!

The rear is a 1985 442 8.5" with Richmond 3.42's, a posi and Summit aluminum cover. It also has boxed lower control arms with urethane bushings and boxed uppers with stock bushings, a 1 1/2" Herb Adams sway bar and Bilstein shocks. The brakes are all stock as are the axles.

The fuel tank is a new stock one with a Comp Engineering sump, an SX fuel pump and filter and #10 line from the tank to the 3/8" output hose on the filter. I used the original 3/8" feed line as the return and made a new 3/8" feed line from about the rear wheel well to the engine.

The front suspension has lowering springs, Bilsteins, boxed lower control arms with urethane bushings, a 36 mm hollow sway bar, F41 bars and the Grand Prix frame brace below the radiator. I also have 16x8 GTA rims with 245/50-16's all around. The front brakes are the S-10 11" dual piston ones. They made a sizeable difference in stopping!

The interior is stock but has the rally gauges added with an 87 442 120 mph speedo, a gauge panel added where the original dash ducts were to house the Fuel pressure, boost, wide band and EGT. I redid the head liner and would like to put in a set of Regal Limited 45/45 seats, a Cutlass console, Lightning Rods and a tilt column as time allows. I have all the parts I just need to get in there and do it. I also need to wire the switch to the line lock one of these days. I also have an aluminum hood and single headlight header panel for it when I get around to painting and installing them. Not too much time with a busy job and two little kids running around.

I had it on my friends chassis dyno and it made 407 RWHP with the converter locked and 570 lbs ft of torque. I was pretty happy but from what I've seen on Turbo Buick it ought to have made a bit more than that. Ah well, in time.
So here's some pics of it and a burnout video of it when it had the original rims and tires on it. It's quite a sleeper!

Burnout video-
http://www.youtube.com/user/racebike1#p/a/u/1/72i7Kqp4e

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,990
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,983
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,972
More pics

Attachments

• IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,979
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,965
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,976
Holy cow what a sleeper. Well done!

Thanks! It's always nice when I drive by someone and they smile at it knowing there's more to it than meets the eye. I'd like to quiet the exhaust down some to make it more "sleepy" when time allows. I have a lot of things I'd like to do I just don't have a lot of time to do it. I've got rear discs as a "someday project" and just picked up a set of roller rockers that I'd like to get to sooner than later. There's also a better 3" down pipe to try out one of these days and other things to improve the power output. One of these days....

Awesome sleeper. Well done. Engine and drivetrain is sick. With all the work that went into it, why make it into such a sleeper though? I know you can smoke the unsuspecting ricer or Mustang but what I would do is lower it an inch and put on some deepdish chrome wheels, really fat ones in the back, a nice paint job.

Awesome Cruiser sleeper :shock: I'll bet it blows some minds...especially some of the unsuspecting newer performance cars out there. Very nicely done car.
Thanks for posting the pics.

I got the steering wheel from a friend of mine who found it in a Junkyard in South Carolina. Mine came from a Toro but I believe they came in the Cutlass Calais too. They used to pop up on ebay all the time but I haven't looked in a while. It's nice and fat so it's easy to grab.

Just so you know I didn't set out to build a sleeper to fool the world. I figure wagons are sleepers by nature I just haven't done anything to outwardly accentuate the performance potential yet. Well, not overly anyway. I was thinking of adding a Hurst Olds hood scoop if I come across one cheap enough. Anybody got one?
I know of a guy on TB who has a black, Regal wagon with the GN drivetrain and he runs whitewall 195/75-14's and spoked wheel covers to preserve the sleeper look. He even puts a child seat in the back to throw people off! I'm not into that level of stealth I was just keeping it simple and using what I had on hand or fell over cheaply. I added the Buick split front spoilers up front to tip off the wise and hey, I did put the Regal T Type "3.8 Turbo" hood ornament on it! 🙂

As far as paint I just don't have the time to do the bodywork and shoot it and I'm too cheap to bring it somewhere to be done. Besides, I hate laying over the fenders of a freshly painted car for fear of scratching it and my kids will bang into it and ruin it anyway :blam: . So for now it's nice enough for me.

Tony,
There's another guy on this forum in the midst of doing a frame off restoration/ rebuild on a Malibu wagon with Buick turbo power. You might have caught it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor