nailhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

edian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2007
anyone ever think of swapping an old nailhead into a GN?? that would be interesting

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It's an engine that went out of production in 1967 and wasn't known for it's power even then. The purpose of most engine swaps is to put in something better than what the car came with, not worse! In that vein, you could swap a Flathead or a 292 Y block into a Mustang Cobra, but all you would do is ruin the car's value, reliability and make it slower.

A good swap would be something like a Honda B16B2 in place of the BMC A series in a 1959-99 Austin Mini. Triple the power, better fuel economy and not much more weight.

edian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2007
but it has more power....

it has more power then a 3.8 for sure. gm even put a turbo on it but it never went to production because nothing would survive behind it. sure there are more powerful motor's, but a nailhead would be unique and still be better then stock. look in drag racing history there are quiet a few nailhead racer's, and most of them did good. and if shere power is what everyone is after i guess there would be no talk of small block's, i mean why when there's big block's??

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Balance and price for one. Sure a big block packs more of a punch, but it is very expensive to build. It also adds unnecessary weight over the nose of the car in anything but a drag car. It also takes more fuel just to idle a larger engine than a small one given that each is running at the same level of efficiency. I for one, do not want a big block in my car. I would rather have a smaller engine with higher efficiency to achieve similar results. I build street cars and do not care to have a drag only car since it is impractical. Balance, handling, braking, comfort. Those are the ideals that make a truly good overall car and that is why smaller engines are out there. Ideally, I would build a variable displacement V8 with a EFI system using 16 injectors and twin turbos, with wastegate control via the ECU. That way, the ECU could reference the TPS position and MAP sensor to determine load and add the second bank of injectors, more boost and more cylinders only when load and throttle position demanded. You could also run a smaller displacement engine since you have the ability to add artificial displacement with the turbos. That's what I would build given the financial resources to do so. A 10 second capable daily driver with fuel economy numbers similar to a new Toyota Camry V6.

Hybrid technology also holds some promise for a multi-purpose car if you think about it, but the biggest downfall is the lack of a transmission that can handle the power and the added weight of the Nickel metal hydride batteries. One of the better uses of this technology would be in a drivetrain involving a engine soft on low end torque but high on horsepower. Electric motors produce lots of low RPM torque, so you could theoretically use it to get the car off the line and let the internal combustion engine take over most of the acceleration from the IMA at a given RPM point. Used in tandem with something like a rotary or a Honda B series 4 , in theory it could make for a very linear torque curve at the wheels with the two technologies being used to compliment each other's weak points. You could also use something like a turbine engine driving a generator which would charge batteries that would power electric motors at the wheels via a high amperage speed controller, thus taking advantage of both the turbine engine's willingness to spin at a constant speed and inability to slow rapidly, and the inherent efficiency of an electrical transmission as opposed to a mechanical one. Diesel Locomotives have run on this technology for around 100 years, so it's hardly a new idea.

I would probably run a nailhead in a vintage rod or custom, or even a early Skylark GS ( which came with them), but I just feel that there are much better options in a more modern car. Sure, it's better than a 3.8, then again, so are lots of things. It's bang for the buck that you have to consider also, and the Nailhead does not offer that as performance parts have not been produced in quantity for it in a long time. It has history, sure. From Tommy Ivo's twin nailhead dragster, to the Buick GS you can site plenty of history for this engine, but it has very limited appeal in the modern world as it does not work from a cost/benefit point of view. It's also not viewed as one of the more cool old engines, like a flathead Ford/Merc, early Hemi, Chevy 348/409, Ford 427 Cammer, etc.

edian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2007
true

yea, but it would be unique, it would cost more then a small-block almost anything, but if you had one around why not? sure part's aren't easy to find and are expensive, and it would be better in a vintage rod, but it's still a good motor, and produces lots if torque, it's similar to the idea of swapping a 6.2 disiel in place of the 5.7, it's better, but not the best.

if you had the money to build a twin turbo multi-displacement small block, you'd have enough to build an all-alluminum big-block, but you'd trade off gas mileage for throttle response, but it would be as light as a stock iron small block.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Believe it or not, variable displacement V8's were first produced in this country in 1981. It was the "V4-6-8" engine used by Cadillac for that year only. It was a 368 ci engine and the system was produced by Eaton for GM. It only lasted the one year because of problems with the software. Fast forward to the present day: Chrysler now has the new Hemi with guess what? The Eaton variable displacement system! Yes, what I proposed is based on actual production components ( somewhat). The variation in displacement and boost based on load is my twist, as would be a displacement under 300ci. It would have a larger stroke than bore and be DOHC, thus negating the small bore airflow disadvantage, and using a smaller 150ci displacement at highway speeds with no boost to maximize fuel economy. There is more to it, but I am a frustrated engineer and won't bore you with the details on this one.

One more thing about my turbine electric hybrid powertrain- Electromagnetic regenerative braking. This is theoretical, and would require a quantum leap in magnet technology to be able to have enough magnetic strength in a light enough package to fight the dynamic forces imposed by rotating wheels. However, I think it shows promise as a way to eliminate the hydraulics and brake pads.

Oh, one final thing I am thinking about right now: The GRM $2008 challenge. My idea consists of a BMW 325es ( E30 chassis) with a Nissan VQ30DE out of a Maxima and a 5 speed out of a Pathfinder. I guess I'll stop now.... I don't want to give away too many of my ideas...

edian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2007
but i want you to bore with the detail's. not saying that it was impossible, just exspensive. gm amke a variable displacement ls-series small block. the new hemi with variable displacement is awsome, btw. i didn't know caddy made one in 81.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, some of this is theory that I think about from time to time and has no real world parts that have been made that could be used to make it work as of yet. I'd also like to see a DOHC V8 with a VVL system like the Honda VTEC, Nissan NEO VVL or Toyota VVTL ( whatever the 2ZZ-GE used). It's an amazing technology when you think about it. Essentially it lets you idle on a wimpy cam that is in use until you get past around 4-5k RPM then it switches to basically a race cam. I am currently going to school for a mechanical engineering degree, so maybe some of this will be in things I get to design in the future. I have some of my theories and ideas posted on my Myspace blogs, if you care to read them and filter them for automotive content. ( Some are personal bitching, some philosophical and some political) What may eventually get done is a GRM challenge car. I have always wanted to build one because it does not take money to be competitive, it takes creativity, talent and ingenuity- things that I have in a much larger quantity than cash!

Today's subject of thought-GRM challenge car: E30 BMW, 4th gen F body 3800 V6/5speed, Eaton M30 supercharger off a Bonneville et. al., WRX STI scoop on the hood to feed the rear mount throttle body, home made water to air intercooler between the blower and intake manifold, vacuum operated shut off valve run off a windshield rain sensor to close the scoop during rain storms with trap doors that would open under engine vacuum when the door is closed, etc. I'd even put the Air Grabber jaws sticker on the scoop sides like a 1970 Road Runner had for fun! Oh, wieght is 2500-2700lbs, 4 wheel independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes BBS wheels, Recaro seats, 3.73 gears, LSD, etc-all factory on some models. There are more details as to why this particular car is my choice ( 325is or 325es), ideas on weight distribution, handling improvements, etc. that may or may not get posted on my blog. Depends on how much time and homework I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor