Need '78 monte rim size help before I order then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Guys, '78 monte, stock height. Want to order chevy rally wheels/tires, need help.

I want 15x8, 255/60 in back, 15x8 235/60 fronts. Thinking 4" backspacing is good??? Need to know for sure before they get shipped, then I'm committed... Thanks...

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So did the other deal fall through?
I think your combination sounds like it should fine, like I said on my 83' Monte when all my rims were 15 x 8 with 4" of backspace and with my 245/60 front and 275/60 rears I had no clearance issues, with your tire combo they will be shorter and have less section width than my set up which will give you added clearance.
I also had a 79' Monte that I ran 15 x 8 wheels with 4" of backspace but had 245/60 all the way around, it was long ago but I don't recall any issues at stock ride height.
The best way to verify fitment would be taking measurements and doing mockups and get the specs of the tires you plan on using, if you have friends with rims you could try that would help also.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
565bbchevy said:
I think your combination sounds like it should fine, like I said on my 83' Monte when all my rims were 15 x 8 with 4" of backspace and with my 245/60 front and 275/60 rears I had no clearance issues, with your tire combo they will be shorter and have less section width than my set up which will give you added clearance.
I also had a 79' Monte that I ran 15 x 8 wheels with 4" of backspace but had 245/60 all the way around, it was long ago but I don't recall any issues at stock ride height.
The best way to verify fitment would be taking measurements and doing mockups and get the specs of the tires you plan on using, if you have friends with rims you could try that would help also.

No, but I checked on pricing for 4 new rims and exact tires/balancing shipped for $1,200... Figured I may as well spend the $$ and get exactly what I want... Now just need to make sure since once mounted, I'm committed... Thanks!!!

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Geo's66 said:
565bbchevy said:

No, but I checked on pricing for 4 new rims and exact tires/balancing shipped for $1,200... Figured I may as well spend the $$ and get exactly what I want... Now just need to make sure since once mounted, I'm committed... Thanks!!!

Update-just bought set of 4 original gm Vette rally's 15x8... Really pumped.. Found Em in Wisconsin, rims were sandblasted, painted, original caps in great condition, new 3" trim rings for $450... Cool meeting a corvette restoration guy as well.. Barn/shop set-up just like you'd expect... Now for the bfg 255 and 235 60's... Slight 1" rake.... Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor