NEED BRAKE HELP NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CostasCutlass

Apprentice
Apr 3, 2008
NJ, 07003
:evil: :evil: :evil:
So pissed right now. Went to move the car into the driveway because I figured it was nice out so I would Wax the Cutlass. Well, I go start it up, and the Brake light is on, and the pedal goes all the way to the floor with pretty much no pressure. GREAT!!! Just my luck, and I gotta be in at 5 today. Does anyone have any ideas?? It was completely fine last night, I see no big puddles of fluid, and theres plenty of fluid in the resivor.......

WHAT THE F*(%????? :!: :!: :!:

:!: :!: :!: :!: EDIT :!: :!: :!: :!:
Once I moved the car I did notice some fluid leaking from the drivers side front brake assembally.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You might want to remove the drums to see if the rear cylinders are leaking if you don't see any other signs of a brake fluid. When you move the car do you have any brakes?.

CostasCutlass

Apprentice
Apr 3, 2008
NJ, 07003
Just noticed the brake fluid, coming from the front drivers side brake. Going to pull the wheel off and see what I can see, waiting for my girlfriend to get here with her fathers jack, I left mine at my grandmothers when I was working on another car, just my luck. As far as your question, no, I really have no brakes at all, very very little with the peddle all the way to the floor, not enough to hold the car from a stand still on a soft hill.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You probably blew a flex line....if it is the flex line you'll probably end up changing the metal brake line from the flex line to the proportional valve since with the age of the car you probably won't get the flex line off the metal line without damaging the line or fitting.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It could be a number of things. Seeing as you live in Jersey, a rusted hard line is a big possibility. Due to the age of the car, the flex line may have finally died due to dry rot too. Then again, it could also be a bad caliper seal, but I would look at the lines first. You don't really need a jack to do this, just turn the wheel full lock to the right and put your head back there. If it is a line, it should become obvious what died.

I would also check out the rear brakes as the brake system in any car built after the late 60's is dual circuit, so that if one axle fails, you still can stop using the other. This means to me that the rear brakes do not function too, and likely need new shoes at most, and at the very least an adjustment. If the parking brake is not working too, that could cause the rear brakes not to work as it functions off part of the self adjuster mechanism.

The last possibility is a master cylinder failure, which would show as a puddle under the driver's side due to where it is located. Look below the master on the booster to see if there is a stream of fluid or wetness coming down from there.

CostasCutlass

Apprentice
Apr 3, 2008
NJ, 07003
Figured it out n got the part, the rubber line had a nice hole in it. Got it out without needing to change the hard line. I'm putting the new one in, but thanks for the help, And I am going to check out the rear brakes as well.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Change the other two hoses too! If one failed, the others will surely follow. Be sure to use new copper washers on the banjo fitting as they are a one use item, and will not seal well if reused. I know this because I lost my brakes and rearended someone when I was 17 and had reused a washer.

CostasCutlass

Apprentice
Apr 3, 2008
NJ, 07003
Thanks again for the help. It's running great and stopping perfectly now. I am going to check out the other brakes as well, just waiting until I can get it in my buddys shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor