Need help/feedback for steering column!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2019
Denver, NC
I had to do this decades ago on a previous Malibu I owned. I was so concerned about it but the car was almost undrivable it was so loose. Ended up taking me about an hour in the parking lot with some very basic hand tools. I only removed the screws and put loctite on them you don't have to go as deep as people think. There is enough room to move the shaft off to one side and tighten the bolt, then move it again and tighten another. Repeat until done... Don't replace parts and make a bigger deal out of it than needs to be. Gotta have a magnet on a stick, you WILL drop a screw or two. Oh and a good light. Pays to vacuum the carpet before you even start. That way when you do drop something, you can find it quicker Hahaha
I'll will take your advice for sure. I have a couple big shop vacs so I'll get it clean like that. I have a couple different length magnet poles so should be good to go with that. Im gonna go ahead and swap a couple things out while I'm in there. Just from some stuff I've read. Since it's already to that point might as well. It'll give me peace of mind since it's not gonna be going anywhere. I'd rather do my research and go over a couple different options so i can do it once and not have to mess with it again. I have no clue how long it's been like that or anything. He didn't tell me it was loose at any point when he was driving it, could have been years or months. Im leaning toward to lengthier amount of time based upon how much play I have. I appreciate everyone's input. I'll post some pics once I start to get on it. Waiting on a couple things ordered at parts store plus a couple other things I need to pick up additionally to what was ordered. First thing next week gonna try to knock it out. Busy this weekend with the family and my oldest daughter's elementary Father/Daughter prom tomorrow evening. Went and picked up something to match her dress tonight. She's super excited and I thought it was cool they make it for the girl's and their Dad's. It's a big deal for her. The school turns it into a big deal so I figured why not. Neither of my parents were around enough to do anything like that when I was young. I try to make sure the girls do things with me that will keep them close as they get older. Or that's the plan. Haha. Once again thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor