Need some good sources please....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fryer1979

Apprentice
Oct 10, 2007
The Sticks, Ca.
So I have finally got my '81 Regal to my shop. Also, I am finding that a lot of places I used for parts for Camaros only sell parts for the most popular cars, no G-bodies. The only one that does is Year One and their selection is limited and spendy. Does anyone have good sources for resto/replacement parts? I found a good one for ABS body filler panels. I am also looking for good sites for performance parts. I do a lot of buisness with Summit already, and I am aware of places like Jegs. I am really looking for G-body specific stuff, like mostly double hump style crossmembers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, 80's stuff is hard to come by in general. They are not cars that are intrinsically good ( late turbo Regals excepted) as they rolled off the showroom floor. As such, most of them require a complete rethink of the drivetrain to make them have decent acceleration as compared to most popular 60's cars. The same goes for third gen F Bodies and early Fox body Mustangs. Your Camaro feeds off the supply of parts for the 70.5-73 cars even though the 79 Model year was not very exciting in stock form. G bodies have reproduction parts more due to the fact that Chevelles are hard to find and pricey so people get G cars as an alternative. Even still, the ones that have the most parts available are the late turbo Regals followed by the Monte SS. Knowing what interchanges allows you to buy parts from one and use them on another. 95% of my parts are junkyard sourced when it comes to interior and body pieces because they are cheaper. I do use some reproductions like weatherstripping, etc. where necessary.

BTW though, my feeling is that the G body is more popular than the 3rd gen F body. They get more magazine coverage and generally are easier to work on and tend have better build quality. Just my opinion though.

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
First of all, ebay will help tremendously on good used parts for the regal. Fortunately, your '81 shares much of the GN body, so there's some help.

Also, this website, http://www.beforeblack.net/ , will steer you on tips and resources for the early 80's regals and the '82 GN.

fryer1979

Apprentice
Oct 10, 2007
The Sticks, Ca.
thanks for the info guys, good sites that will be useful. Much appreciated.

You know, I really don't want to debate F-body vs G-body. I have been infatuated with F-bodies since I was old enough to recognize shapes, and I know the extensive aftermarket that supports all four generations very well, (for every one G-body source I've found, I can show you ten F-body sources). I have personally owned six Camaros, and have built countless more. The Regal I just aquired is a new venture for me, and a fresh challenge, something different for a change. I first took notice of these cars back when I was 16, and thought that it was a shame that a car with such clean lines was doomed to ride on 13" wire wheels. I knew they would be sick as a Hot Rod. To tell you the truth, as much as I love my Camaro, I like the people in the G-body scene a lot better. In general, most of the F-body people I meet are down-right ___holes, sorry guys but it is true. That is why I am not a member of any F-body organization. This one forum here has been more informative and interesting than all of the F-body forums I've been to put together. The Camaro will always be my favorite car (granted my late second gen is the hardest to find parts for), but I cannot wait to put rubber to pavement in my Regal and to put it down to all the kids in the car their grandma drove! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor