NEED SUGGESTIONS!!! Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

vene09

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2009
IDAHO
OK everyone, i have a 1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme, its stock to the bone!!! clean in and out!!! but i think its about time to modify!!!
What should i do with it? it has a 307 V8, it shows on the dash 43,000 miles but i dont know if it's more like 143000 miles!!! it runs strong no smoke!! i bouth it one year ago, but anyways, should i add performance to the same engine, like an Edelbrock intake manifold with 4 br carb, dual it with flowmasters? or should i swap the whole thing with a small block 350? dont want to make a drag racing car!!! just what too make it sound nice, look nice, and run strong!!!

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
depends on what you really want to do with it, but with that power house 307, don't expect to blow that honda away next to you.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Your '86 307 should have 7A heads, in which case you can't swap to an aftermarket aluminum manifold without there being severe port mismatch.
To be honest, it really isn't worth trying to get anymore performance out of a 307, let alone a 7A swirl port head 307.

Find a 350 Olds and rebuild it. Everything externally from the 307 will bolt on. Water pump, pulley's, accessory brackets, fuel pump, etc. You could even keep the stock computer setup if you wanted to mess around with it however it would just be easier to put a non-computer controlled carb and vacuum distributor in it and go.

You'll be able to continue to drive the car while you work on the new engine, then when its ready swap everything over in a few hours.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
Depends on what your wanting to do with it. If youre just wanting a nice dependable clean cutty, i wouldnt mess with it at all. But if your looking at putting a little bit of muscle in it then i suggest a 350, which you can build as you go, upgraded suspension, brakes, and either a whole seperate rear end or just swap in some 3.42s/3.73 into your 7.5. Thats what im doing with mine. P.S. ive got a chevy 350 in mine.

johnny79

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2009
DC
You don't need to do an engone swap to get a little power out of that engine. It's not like we are talking about a 4 banger here.

I'd start with a good tune-up. New plugs, HP wires, rotor, cap and coil. You can upgrade the exhaust, that'll help.

Throw a little bigger gear in the end and chip it:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_ ... salon.html

Even a mild cam and a cold air intake...

There's plenty you can do without ripping it apart...

Upgrade the audio system, suspension, etc. Have fun :p

vene09

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2009
IDAHO
cdg1984 said:
Depends on what your wanting to do with it. If youre just wanting a nice dependable clean cutty, i wouldnt mess with it at all. But if your looking at putting a little bit of muscle in it then i suggest a 350, which you can build as you go, upgraded suspension, brakes, and either a whole seperate rear end or just swap in some 3.42s/3.73 into your 7.5. Thats what im doing with mine. P.S. ive got a chevy 350 in mine.

do you need to use a different Trany with a 350 chevy?

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
1)Gears

2)Exhaust

3)Mild lowering with updated suspension

4) Nice tire/rim combo

5)Drive and enjoy your reliable car

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
vene09 said:
cdg1984 said:

do you need to use a different Trany with a 350 chevy?

I dont think so but im not sure. Im pretty new to this stuff too, fortunately my brother is a mechanic and has been able to help me out a lot. Ive got a th350 going in mine.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Don't bother with the Chevy. ;) I know guys like them but in the end, if you want a Chevy, buy a Monte Carlo.

That being said, the tranmission, assuming its a TH-2004R should be a dual bolt pattern.

johnny79 said:
You don't need to do an engone swap to get a little power out of that engine. It's not like we are talking about a 4 banger here.

No 4 banger but close to it. The roller 307 was a great engine for what it was meant to do. Move a 3500lb+ vehicle reliably for years and years. But it is no performance engine and a waste of money trying to do anything major with it that won't bolt onto another Olds small block.

I'd start with a good tune-up. New plugs, HP wires, rotor, cap and coil. You can upgrade the exhaust, that'll help.

Good suggestion, and all of these parts could be swapped onto a larger Olds engine later on.

Throw a little bigger gear in the end

Again, good idea as this would help any engine.

Absolute waste of money. These "performance chips" do almost nothing other than advance the timing a little. I made the mistake when I was younger and bought one of these. Lesson learned.

Even a mild cam and a cold air intake...

If your going to open the engine up that far, might as well put in something bigger. Especially considering this is more than likely a roller engine (assuming its the stock 307).
The factory air cleaner and air cleaner hose already pickup cold air from in front of the radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor