Need to swap out my stock rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be mainly a street car. Maybe just taking it to the strip a few times a summer to see what it can run.

If the rear end you have now is a posi and your only going to the strip a couple times a year then just keep it. If it isnt a posi then I would skip making it one and buy an 8.5. By the time you would get a posi unit and gears for it you might as well just buy a used 8.5. I wouldnt pay these outrageous prices people are asking for a stock used unit though. You look around and hunt for it long enough you should be able to find one for around 500.

Chris Van said:
If you run across the right deal on an 8.5 you won't regret using it and it will be fine for street/strip duty. Do yourself a favor and don't waste a dime of your hard earned money on that 7.5
But if you are serious about track time, go for the 9" ford. You can spend as much or as little as you want when building a 9" You can peice together parts and get yourself a pretty good rear end together on a tight budget or you can go all out and wind up with about $3-4000 in it too. (ask me how I know....LOL)
Depending on where you are located and if you did find a deal on an 8.5 I have a driveshaft for one that I'd be willing to part with but I don't want to fool with shipping it.

i got an 8.5" for $250 for the rear and the drive shaft , im glad to hear it!

the 8.5 isnt a myth. it is physically stronger. the real myth is on the weakness of the 7.5. the 7.5 is alot stronger then people give credit for. but if you run a 7.5 it will eventually blow up if too much power and abuse is put towards it.

I am running an 8.5 right now. Its stronger, I got a gurddle to help it a bit more.

I am building a motor now that the 8.5 can handle. should be around 550 hp (i hope) when the cash allows it I will go to a 9" not only for more strength but also the best part about the 9" is that you can change gears in the car. just by changing a few bolts. and I am going to be changing between a 4.56 and a 4.11 all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor