New Cutlass owner, need to be pointed in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
KrisW said:
Of course, I am biased, but I don't like chevy small blocks. There's just no originality left. There's nothing more disappointing than looking under the hood and going, "gee, another small block chevy," so I'm not going there.

On the other hand, if you like originality (of course you do! That's why you got a 442, not a Monte SS) then Olds V8 is the choice. The engine will sit down on your factory motor mounts, and the accessory drives from your 307 will bolt onto any olds small block as long as you keep the 307 water pump and pulleys to go with it.

My advice; 350 or 403 Olds, some "C" casting big block heads or aluminum, headers and the like.

You'll be really happy! I promise!

Thanks very much, this is just the information I was looking for. I'd like to keep it simple with the factory mounts, and accessory drives that bolt right on. Olds 350 it is!

I saw some turn key drop in ready Olds 350 engines that caught my eye from Pro-formance Unlimited. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, complete and ready to go!

KrisW said:
The intake to use on an Olds small block with big block heads is a Performer RPM. There is enough material on the port flanges to match them up.

Thanks Kris, I couldn't remember 100% if it was the standard or RPM with the extra flange material. Mental lapse, or just mental.

KrisW, Any 472, 500, 425, 368 RWD Caddy mount.. bolted to a short steel plate. The other end of the steel plate bolts to the car. New motor mounts are available at any auto parts store if you are getting your Cad from a FWD Eldo. I love the 350 Olds its a great little motor. But you have to ride in one of these its so much fun and you don't have to spin the snot out of it to make power or crutch it with a big stall converter & big gears.

Since you have a 307 already in there, I would yank that and puit in a '72 or older Olds 350, or if you can find one, any Olds big-block (or any Olds V8 past '65 or so) will drop right in...all the V8s had the same basic block, just the big-blocks had taller deck heights.

I'd say an Olds 455 (stay away from the 425 with thier odd cam bank angle) with Edelbrock heads, mild Engle cam, and Performer intake with early BBO exhaust manifolds would do the trick nicely. Just make sure your transmission can handle the added torque!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor