New from central Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Nice Regal! What is the number stamped on the bottom left of the head below the valve cover? That should give you a starting point to which small block Olds you have.

Did you check the number?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Ahh not yet I’ve been moving into a new house on my days off. Are they gonna be stamped on the head towards the front of the car or on the side somewhere?
It depends on which side you are looking at. It should be a single number cast into the bottom left corner of the head, above the exhaust port, possibly followed by a small 'a'.

Reactions: 1 user

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Because the cylinder heads can be left or right side on the engine, Oldsmobile put an embossed(raised) number in the casting located on the external lower left side of the head(when your looking over top of the head, from either fender)...its just to the left of the most left spark plug hole, under the most left head bolt. It will be a single digit, or a digit with a letter for small blocks. Big block Olds heads have just a letter.

Reactions: 1 user

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Greasemonkey
Jul 17, 2018
Just an update, no I have not checked any numbers lol. So far the plan is a 5.3 or 4.8 swap with a 700r4 behind it. Still need to figure out what rear end I want to use.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Greasemonkey
Jul 17, 2018
image1 (2).jpeg

So I found the number 8 raised up on the lower left side of the head. All I can find is that is may be some sort of 73-76 350ci smog engine.

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Those heads flow well. To get some more HP out of the motor, you'll need to up the compression, and change out the cam to make use of their flow characteristics, and replace the intake with a Edelbrock Performer RPM.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Greasemonkey
Jul 17, 2018
Or do a swap lol.

Sure as sh*t was just googling stuff and I saw this video

See the number 8 stamped on the front of the head when he swing back talking about time limits? Yeah that is the same 8 I saw on mine.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Greasemonkey
Jul 17, 2018
Just ran the vin through a decoder. So it is a Limited that originally came with a 4.1. I’m not digging this interior. I prefer the Monte/Elco to the Regal/Cutlass one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor