New from Mo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xexxkynn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 12, 2014
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I am in the Kansas City, Mo area and I have owned a 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix since I was 16. It has a 327 engine that is mated to a T400 transmission. It is all powered by a 650 Holley 4 barrel carb, with headers and straight pipe exhaust with cherry bomb glass packs and turn down tips at the rear of the car.
This car was torn completely to the frame by my father and myself when I was 15, and completely rebuilt over the course of the following year, mostly due to the fact that it was filled with trash and mice when we got it, and my dad wanted me to know how to fix anything on it that might break when he wasn't around. The motor came with the car, but the shade tree mechanic who owned it did a horrible job installing it, but since we tore the car down to the frame, fixing the issues created by someone who had no idea what they were doing was easier to fix.

However, almost 20 years later, the body, all though still straight and dent free, is showing its age. I have a problem with the doors wanting to sag a bit when they are opened, making them annoying to close, and the plastic piece that fills the gap between the bumper and trunk is rotting away from sunlight. I also have a rust spot on the rear quarter panel and the driver side door from an unnoticed leak in the trunk and door while it was parked next to my dads house.
I have been unable to find the plastic piece anywhere but Ebay for $250, and I was hoping to get some input on how to fix the doors and quarter panel. Is it a simple need to change the hinge issue, or will I have to replace the whole door/quarter panel to fix the rust issue? Or can I simply cut these spots out and weld in new metal?

Any Input would be welcomed...

P.S. I will put up a picture or 2 when I can find the original pictures of the rebuild, as well as its current state.

FirstClass 383

Master Mechanic
Feb 8, 2013
Welcome to the best site there is, :wink: There is so much knowledge here in this body of car lovers its scary :wink: post pic asap if you would :D

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Welcome to the forum man glad to have a fellow missourian. Im alittle south of Springfield

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Welcome to the site.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor