New from NJ with a 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

442steve

n00b
Mar 20, 2011
NJ
Hey im over in Carteret. At least for now anyway. Yeah i am going to try to get to it today, and i may try putting another carb on it this week. If anyone has parts, im in need of R and L fenders, driver door(split on the bottom, and someone picnhed a hole when they broke into it) and 442 center caps. i have one, the other 3 are the olds caps. Thanks

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
First congrats on finding an actual 442. It is a special car even if its rough. Your numbers matching q-jet probably needs a refresh/rebuild. If you are not patient & desiring to learn your best bet is take or send it to a carberator shop which is generally better & cheaper than buying a new carb & won't require dialing in to your car like a new carb. Internet wise you might check out Sparkys carbs.

IMO a three speed transmission should not be used for street cars when overdrive transmissions are built for your car unless lack of finances beats you out of a better choice. I would leave the good for the day beloved 3 speed back in the 70s. Lastly, I know the sbc 1 is the cheapest rebuild & most commonly known motor but it does not always make it the cheapest easiest or best motor swap. Just saying at least consider other alternatives & all things involved in a swap not just the price of the motor. Another larger Olds motor would certainly be one to consider.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Welcome! Good luck with the 442 and keep it OLDS.... :lol:

94gtfreak

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2009
Welcome and congrats on the 442! Definitely want pix! I'll want to see pix of the stang too lol

Keep it Olds though...just lose the electronics!

442steve

n00b
Mar 20, 2011
NJ
Hey guys, thanks for the info.. I am trying like hell to find a larger olds motor. The only one i found was a 403, however, it was a boat anchor and more rusted than my old 63 chevy bel air(when you closed the hood, rust fell off the car everywhere) and the boneyards by me have slim pickins when it comes to olds parts that why i was thinking the cheap alternative. I did find a place with a carb rebuild kit in stock, i rebuilt one for my old 1978 t bird, so it shouldnt be too much different. anyway, thanks again for the info, and hopefully today i will get the pics up.

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
if you can find a 403 thats rebuildable then id hop on it! how bad was the one you looked at? were you able to take the heads and intake off?

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Congrats on the car and welcome to the board.

If you want a bigger Olds powerplant I'd definitely go with a 425 or 455 just look for them on craigslist they come up for sale pretty regularly. I know a guy with a monstrous 455 olds in a 79 Cutlass it's an awesome car... It would be awesome in your 442 too. 8) I found like 7 in Jersey area just now but none of them seemed like that good of a deal but if you keep your eye out the good deals come along.

A 350 olds (or chevy) would be nice too though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor