New from Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darcane

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2018
Buckley, WA
After a series of unreliable modern cars, I've decided my next daily driver will be a little lower tech. I don't want anything big, but need four doors, RWD, reasonable fuel economy, and ideally enough towing capacity for a lightweight race car. So, I'm currently on the prowl for a decent longroof G-body (any flavor). Any advice for what to watch out for would be appreciated.

I plan on an LS swap (I actually prefer the much maligned LR4, but which one depends on what I find) to improve fuel economy, power, and reliability.

Mike

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
There are several longroofs on here with LS swaps. If you're looking for a reliable daily with decent mileage, I'd keep an eye out for an LM7 (Third-gen truck iron-block 5.3). There are loads of them out there, and they have a good reputation for longevity and durability. Unfortunately, such a swap is off-the-table in CA, but I'm assuming the smog laws are a little more lenient up there.

Reactions: 1 user

Darcane

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2018
Buckley, WA
There are several longroofs on here with LS swaps. If you're looking for a reliable daily with decent mileage, I'd keep an eye out for an LM7 (Third-gen truck iron-block 5.3). There are loads of them out there, and they have a good reputation for longevity and durability. Unfortunately, such a swap is off-the-table in CA, but I'm assuming the smog laws are a little more lenient up there.
Well, as I said I like the LR4 which is the 4.8L version of that same engine. Either would be fine, and either should be relatively cheap as far as LS engines go.

WA smog laws are both very strict and very lax. Strict for new cars, but after 25 years they stop caring.

Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Well, as I said I like the LR4 which is the 4.8L version of that same engine. Either would be fine, and either should be relatively cheap as far as LS engines go.

WA smog laws are both very strict and very lax. Strict for new cars, but after 25 years they stop caring.

4.8 should probably be even cheaper. They don't get much respect in the enthusiast/swap community, but compared to the power levels most G-Bodies had when new, it's plenty potent! Either would work well.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Welcome. I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of a Gbody, but you did mention towing a racecar so a little more mass might be a huge plus. Gbodys really don't weigh all that much. A Bbody wagon would get you beefier everything plus a few more creature comforts. 25 year cutoff would get you into a '94. Lots of aftermarket support too.
Just thinking out loud.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
And again, to piggy back my earlier post, I'm really not trying to talk you out of a G and into a B. You need both.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Darcane

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2018
Buckley, WA
Welcome. I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of a Gbody, but you did mention towing a racecar so a little more mass might be a huge plus. Gbodys really don't weigh all that much. A Bbody wagon would get you beefier everything plus a few more creature comforts. 25 year cutoff would get you into a '94. Lots of aftermarket support too.
Just thinking out loud.

Well, I really don't want the bulk of a Caprice etc for daily driving. And towing duties will be limited to one event per year when I get finished building it. The race car is a gutted AE86 Corolla weighing about 2000lbs, so I think the G-Body should be sufficient for it. That said, I've never towed with one before.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor